× Members

Depression and extreme fatigue

More
10 months 4 days ago #285691 by Preferanon
Depression and extreme fatigue was created by Preferanon
Hi everyone,

Normally of good health, I do however suffer from bouts of debilitating depression, extreme fatigue and weakness together with moderate to high anxiety stemming from unpleasant childhood, adolescent and adult experiences. These are triggered in the workplace and in public by undesirable people and leave me in a horrible state where I am simply unable to do any kind of work while I recover. This can take days or a couple of weeks.

In the workplace it's seen as 'weak' and that I should, 'sort myself out' but managers are either unaware or wilfully ignorant (and sometimes secretly in favour) of mild to moderate verbal harassment and I have had limited or next to no sympathy or help from managers and bosses. As I am a bit show, everyone seems to descend on me over every little point, real, petty or imagined and it quickly becomes insufferable being around them. Some get quite annoyed I can't keep up and after a few weeks I usually get shown the door. This is despite being diligent, helpful, careful and to my mind, hard working.

The situation is made much worse by my inability to stay awake because of such low energy. I can sleep all night and most of the day, having to go back to bed repeatedly. This is not laziness. It is a severe inability to think straight and properly. Even after getting washed and dressed I often need to go back to bed and often leave showering for a few days, with all of the housework and meal preparation. I just have no will to live or exist at those times (but not suicidal). The feeling is like you get just before you go down with flu. Totally washed out.

I've failed PIP and WCA assessments but actually did pick up quite a few after doing your WCA assessment calculator.

How can I best communicate all of this on the forms and in face to face assessments?

Thanks in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 days ago #285695 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Depression and extreme fatigue
Hi Preferanon

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

When applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

There are two parts to the work capability assessment :-

The first part looks at whether you have 'limited capability for work' (LCW)
The second part looks at whether you have a 'limited capability for work related activity' (LCWRA)

1) Limited Capability for Work
Assessment to help determine benefit entitlement based on the extent to which a claimant’s health condition or disability affects their capability for work

2) Limited Capability for Work-Related Activity
Assessment to help determine whether the claimant can be placed in the Support Group because the effect of their condition is so severe that it would be unreasonable to expect them to engage in work-related activity.

You will be found to have limited capability for work and work-related activity if:

* at least one of the LCWRA descriptors applies to you for the majority of the time or on the majority of the occasions that you try to carry out the activity;
* your capability for work and work-related activity is limited; and
* it is not reasonable for you to carry out the activity.

To be assessed as having a limited capability for work, you need to score 15 points or more. Add together the highest score from each activity that applies to you.

The following criterion can only be considered once it has been determined that the claimant has not scored fifteen or more points against the schedule 2 descriptors (limited capability for work), and/or they have not scored against one or more of the schedule 3 descriptors (limited capability for work and work-related activity).

* if, because of a specific health condition or disability, the physical or mental health of the claimant or anybody else would be at risk if they were not found to have limited capability for work-related activity 

In order to qualify for the Support/LCWRA Group you need to;

* meet one or more of the relevant descriptors, or
* meet one of the associated Exceptional Circumstances rules.

The Support/LCWRA Group descriptors and the Exceptional Circumstances are listed in the Claiming ESA guides in the members area.

As you have a fluctuating condition I would advise you to keep a day diary which can be used for both PIP and WCA.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
10 months 3 days ago #285711 by Preferanon
Replied by Preferanon on topic Depression and extreme fatigue
Yes I've heard how powerful diaries can be in FIP claims and will be keeping one. I'll certainly check out those links.

Thanks for your fast reply Gary. Great site and so glad I've signed up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid