× Members

Part time study beyond 16 hours on ESA?

More
10 months 4 days ago #285686 by Graeme
Hi, i have been offered a place at universities to do a post graduate course part time over two years online from January 2024.
Whilst there will be no face to face tuition there would be an estimated 18.75 hours of study (for a 15 credit course over 8 week terms) in one case and 20 (for 20 credits over 10 weeks) per week in another
Im on Enhanced rates of Pip and IrESA support group.
I could get a post graduate loan.
Iappreciate the benfits would ex pect me to get it or count the income anywsy and that it will reduce my ESA as at least some (i believe 30%) of the loan would be counted as income.
Again, i believe there are some disregards from that but its not really the income side that worries me so much.
I accept that would be reduced.
However I also recieve HB so would hope to keep SOME ESA and not lose that plus would hope to avoid being transfereed to UC as a change of circumstances.
If that was likely to happen i would be unlikely to accept the places but its the wider eligibility question for Esa and Pip which concerns me
Whilst i read in Turn2You website being on Pip means not having a Capacity for work test for ESA, would studying more than 16 hours on what is classed as a Part Time course mean i was taken as being Able ... to work (for ESA) and indeed that my 'condition had improved' for Pip.
I would probably have to access Disabled Students Allowance to help access the studying but i dont know if it would be seen that doing more in doing the study doesnt necessarily mean things gave improved because id actuslly need (more) help from DSA to do it ... but my main question is whether informing DWP i was doing such a course would trigger reassessments of my entitlement to ESA and Pip?

Additionally, please, why would it seem if i was to become a full time student on those benefits, this would be allowed and i would be allowed to keep them .. (i read) but why would it be allowed to do fulltime hours but not just a few more than 16 part time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 days ago #285696 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Part time study beyond 16 hours on ESA?
Hi Graeme

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Your question is outside the remit of the forum, I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk or alternatively ask at your local Student Union or NUS; www.nus.org.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.