× Members

Supported internship and UC LCWRA?

More
10 months 1 week ago #285587 by buster21
Supported internship and UC LCWRA? was created by buster21
Hi Guys

My son is LCWRA in Universal Credit (ESA Support Group equivalent. Rare genetic condition, learning disability, severe visual impairment and other disabilities. Also gets PIP enhanced both.

His visual impairment is degenerative - which will lead to total blindness eventually - legal definition.

Recently he has enrolled with a charity which works with disabled youths offering supported internships and this is being funded by the DWP of all people, Access to Work Fund. It is an unpaid internship with support including getting too and from the place where he helps out.

He attends a few hours a day with support and has been doing this for a couple of months. He is struggling to do all of this but he really wants to do something which makes him feel fulfilled -for want of a better word.

In the not too distant future his sight will be lost completely, so, my view why shouldn't he have a go at something now because eventually it will be insurmountable to do what he's trying now - even with support.

My concern is: will what he has done/doing trigger another WCA or PIP review?

It looks like despite him giving this a go he will be withdrawing from the supported internship as he is struggling with it.

My view is he will always need to rely on Social Security for the rest of his life to a hugely significant extent - otherwise he would not be able to manage - and would become destitute.

Being honest I don't want the support he gets and will need for the rest of his life jeopardising just for for trying something out - to give the boy something.

Apart from my question - do you have any other thoughts you could share?

Thank you

Buster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285589 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Supported internship and UC LCWRA?
Hi buster21

Being disabled does not stop you from trying out things, you only live once.

From a benefits point of view, has his condition improved, got better, if it has not then there is no need to be concerned. If his condition has improved then you need to contact the relevant benefit department and let them know.

Good luck to your son in his pursuits

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 1 week ago #285596 by buster21
Replied by buster21 on topic Supported internship and UC LCWRA?
Cheers Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.