× Members

Social Anxiety - Engaging with others face to face

More
10 months 1 week ago #285432 by mrs doyle
I received a pip award of standard daily back in Jan. But despite sending copies of my social anxiety diagnosis (going back to 1998) I was awarded 2 points.I have just become aware of the supreme court judjement which entitles me to 4 points and would give me enhanced daily.If I use your letter template to request that my case should be looked at again,would there be a possibility that I could loose my current award ?,many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285434 by Gordon
Mrs D

An MR and/or appeal re-makes the Decision so yes, it can mean that you can lose the current award, however, we see this very very rarely.

Although you are correct about the UTT Decision, if your award was made this January then it was made under the correct guidance so you cannot challenge your award on the basis of that Decision.

You will need to show that you meet the criteria to score more points. Have a look at our PIP Claim guide to make sure you understand the criteria that you will need to meet.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrs doyle

More
10 months 4 days ago #285675 by mrs doyle
If I am able to attend doctors,hospital and dentist appointments,are these considered as social engagements ? Thanks.

More
10 months 4 days ago #285688 by Gary
Hi mrs doyle

When you say you are able to attend doctors, hospital and dentist appointments, do you attend on your own?

This is what the DWP guidance say about Mixing with Other People

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to engage with other people, which means to interact face-to-face in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, understand body language and establish relationships.

Activities 7 and 9 are not mutually exclusive. If claimants require support to engage with others under activity 9, as well as communication support under activity 7, then their needs must be considered under both activities.

Notes:
An inability to engage face-to-face must be due to the impact of impairment and not simply a matter of preference by the claimant.

Social support means support from another person trained or experienced in assisting people to engage in social situations, or someone directly experienced in supporting the claimant themselves (for example a family member or carer), who can compensate for limited ability to understand and respond to body language, other social cues and assist social integration. Most claimants with sensory impairments will be able to fully engage with others independently, however they may score on both activities 7 and 9 if, for example anxiety arising from their impairment means they reasonably require social support to engage with people generally.

Behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person must be as a result of an underlying health condition and the claimant’s inability to control their behaviour.

When considering whether claimants can engage with others, consideration should be given to whether they can engage with people generally, not just those people they know well.

If an individual cannot reliably complete an activity in the way described in a descriptor then they should be considered unable to complete it at that level and an alternative descriptor selected.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrs doyle

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.