× Members

ESA Severe Disability Premium Question

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285365 by sgbd
Hi folks!
I just have a quick question: following the success of my pip application, my husband and I now both receive the pip daily living component. We are also on income based ESA. We live alone and nobody claims carer's allowance for us- so we believe that we are eligible for the severe disability premium of ESA. My question is- if ESA awards us the premium, how far back will they backdate it? Would it be possible to get the severe disability premium backdated to the date I claimed pip (the date that my pip award technically began), or would they only backdate to the date of the decision?
Thank you for any help!
Bri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285435 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Severe Disability Premium Question
S

If this was the first time that you claimed PIP and this was not a transfer from DLA, then the new award should start from the date that you first claimed PIP and the SDP should be backdated to that date, the first time that you both had a qualifying award for the SDP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , sgbd

More
10 months 1 week ago #285623 by sgbd
Replied by sgbd on topic ESA Severe Disability Premium Question
Thank you so much! Just one more question- do you happen to know if a severe disability premium backpayment for income based ESA would be ignored as capital for 12 months? Or will it immediately count as savings that would cause our ESA to be garnished (assuming our savings go over £6000)? Thank you!

More
10 months 1 week ago #285630 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Severe Disability Premium Question
s

Yes, it should be disregarded for 52 weeks.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sgbd

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.