× Members

Will applying for New style ESA affect my PIP

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #284974 by charm7
I have been off work with depression since August 2022 and successfuly applied for PIP with the help of my family and the benefits and work website and guide. ( awarded 3 years after paper based assessment) Currently under care of GP and psychiatrist. I am still employed and now receiving half of previous salary under group income protection scheme GIP. SSP has finished.

I believe I am entitled to new style ESA and want to apply, however I am really anxious about applying for the following reasons

If I apply for ESA and have to fill in an ESA 50 form will this automatically trigger a review of my PIP award by the DWP

If I apply for ESA and I am not put in the support group will the DWP then reassess ( or take another look at) my PIP award

If I apply for ESA and they decide I am not eligible will this mean that the DWP will then ask me to attend a WCA for PIP again

If I apply for ESA online will the Jobcentre contact me by telephone 10 days later and ask me to sign a claimant commitment

My wife can apply for me online but I am terrified of having an ESA telephone assessment then opening a can of worms where I have to sign a claimant commitment and have the jobcentre constantly calling me with queries and also possibly having them relook at my PIP award.

Can anybody put my mind at rest please as my thoughts are that it may not be worth the pain of applying for ESA if it means constant contact from the jobcentre

Thanks and thanks again to benefits and work for their advice so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #284989 by Gary
Hi charm7

PIP and NS ESA are completely different benefits and have different descriptors.

In answer to your first three questions the answer is ....... No

You do not have a claimant commitment for NS ESA, you have a claimant commitment if you apply for Universal Credit.

When you apply for NS ESA you will be asked to complete a WCA form; To get New Style ESA you’ll need to have been an employee or self-employed and paid (or been credited with) National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years.

www.gov.uk/national-insurance

You will also need to have a fit note (sometimes called ‘sick note’ or ‘doctor’s note’) but you can start making your claim before you have one. If you have only just become ill, you can self-certify for the first 7 days.

You can get New Style ESA on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit. If you apply for and are awarded both benefits, the New Style ESA you are paid will reduce your Universal Credit payment by the same amount.

www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment...ailed-guide#overview

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

If you have any further questions, come back to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Gary. Reason: error
The following user(s) said Thank You: C&R

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #284998 by charm7
Thanks Gary

I asked about the claimant commitment because my wife found this on the gov website explaining NS ESA step by step?

www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/...bf-a2ce-9f183aca85b9

it says

After you apply

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you within 10 working days of applying.
If you’re eligible

DWP will contact you within 10 working days to schedule an appointment that you must attend. It will normally be over the phone with a work coach from your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Your work coach will explain what you need to do to get New Style ESA. They will create an agreement with you called a ‘Claimant Commitment’.

You must agree to your Claimant Commitment before you can get New Style ESA.

This was why I was confused to start with as there is no way i could attend a face to face meeting at the job centre the way I am at the moment

Thanks

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285025 by Gary
Hi Charm7

My post is not accurate, the link I posted is accurate.

I should have said if you are claiming 'new style' ESA under the universal credit system, you have to meet certain work-related conditions. These are recorded in a 'claimant commitment.

To be entitled to new style ESA you must meet the National Insurance contribution conditions as well as basic qualifying conditions. There are a number of qualifying conditions to be entitled to claim ESA;

You have a limited capability for work
You have to accept a claimant commitment, if required to do so
You are aged 16 or over
you are under pension age
you are not in work
you are in Great Britain
you are not entitled to Income Support or JSA
You are not within a period of entitlement to statutory sick pay

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.