× Members

PIP question

More
11 months 18 hours ago #284918 by vicki_s
PIP question was created by vicki_s
Hi there

A friend of mine was in hospital for 4 months and his PIP was stopped. He was told that because he had a long stay in hospital they stopped his PIP. Just wondering is this normal? Seems odd they would stop it because he's gone to hospital. If this is correct, is it easy to re instate it without having to reapply all over again?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 17 hours ago #284919 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP question
Hi vicki_s

I'm afraid it is normal. PIP is paid to give people extra help with their disabilities, and if they have a long hospital stay the DWP deems it is not needed. PIP is paused if a person is in hospital for more than 28 days. (unless a person is paying for private care or under 18). He should contact them to have it reinstated. He won't have to reapply.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285000 by vicki_s
Replied by vicki_s on topic PIP question
Hi,
Thank you for the response regarding PIP being stopped due to a long hospital visit. Do you know if its possible to write to the dwp to get PIP reinstated rather than phone them? My friend suffers from quite bad mental health issues and struggles with calls and so wanted to write instead. He doesn't have an appointee to call for him and I don't really want to be his appointee as I have my own health issues.

Thank you in advance for the help

Vicki

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285021 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP question
Hi Vicki-S

He can write, but I honestly don't advise it. If he writes there is no telling when it will be processed and the only way he would know is to ring and find out.

You don't have to be an appointee to speak on his behalf. If you are together - you could ring and explain you want to speak on his behalf, and then they will ask to speak to him, and all he has to do is answer "yes" to two questions that they ask - or he could phone (confirm his details)and then tell them he gives permission for you to speak and he hands over the phone to you. Then you would explain that he is out of the hospital and he wants his PIP to be reinstated. (Make sure that you have the exact dates of when he was in hospital and when he was discharged.

I know this sounds a lot - and when you're both struggling, it might be too much (and you may be friends, but he's not your responsibility).

So, if there is no choice - he can write, but it may be a long time before his letter is processed and actioned.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.