× Members

Incorrect Assessment Payment

More
11 months 18 hours ago #284887 by Alex
Incorrect Assessment Payment was created by Alex
Hi,
Not sure if anyone will be able to help, but I've received a phone call from the DWP this morning (the number came up as 0800 121 4433) to advise me that they've been looking at how answers to the "mixing with other people" question have previously been assessed for the period 2016 to 2021 and my score has now increased, which means I'm owed a back payment of £6800. Although the phone number seems to check out as genuine, I was surprised that they'd called rather than writing to me so I ended the call and asked if they could call me back on Friday. I have two questions - has anyone else had a similar call, and as this amount would mean my bank account would have an amount in it of over £6000 would my PIP (and ESA) payments be penalised.
Thank you for any help and apologies for the length of this message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 13 hours ago #284899 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Incorrect Assessment Payment
Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

The number that came up is from the DWP, it is the PIP enquiry line. They do both, will call you and explain why you will be receiving this money, ( it is due to a LEAP review, there are a number of reviews taking place) and they will put it in writing.

It will not affect your PIP as PIP is not dependant on savings, as the decision was made due to an error in law then it will not affect your ESA if you receive IR ESA, if you receive CB ESA then any savings you have will not affect it.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 12 hours ago #284903 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Incorrect Assessment Payment
Thank you for responding so quickly and providing the FAQ link, Gary. I do receive IR ESA so it's a relief to know it won't be affected. Silly I know as it's really good news, but dealing with the DWP always makes me extremely stressed so your quick response really is very much appreciated.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285006 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Incorrect Assessment Payment
Hi Gary
I just wanted to provide an update to forewarn other members what they might encounter from the DWP if they are also told they'll be receiving a PIP payment due to a LEAP review. After receiving another call from the PIP enquiry lane last Friday to arrange payment, I was advised to call the ESA enquiry line to let them know. I've since spent 4 hours on the phone, speaking to 4 different people, one of whom was a team leader, being given contradictory information on whether this will affect my ESA or not, as well as being subjected to unprofessional, unpleasant and aggressive behaviour. I was given two completely different answers this morning by the same member of staff - the payment definitely won't affect my ESA suddenly changed mid conversation to it won't affect my ESA for 12 months but then it might, they "just don't know", and my query has to be sent to a back office team for a definitive answer, which will take a further 3 working days. I've tried to make a complaint on Friday and again this morning about the behaviour of the staff members I've spoken to and both times I've been interrupted, shouted at and hung up on. At this point I'm exhausted, totally confused, very worried and in tears and don't feel well enough to spend another hour on hold waiting to speak to someone else to try to make the complaint again, but I just wanted to let you know about my experience so other members can prepare themselves if they're also told they'll be receiving a payment due to a LEAP review.
Thanks
Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Gary

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285030 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Incorrect Assessment Payment
Hi Alex

Thank you for posting your story, it does help fellow members going through a similar situation.

In regards to backdate payment;

this payment is not counted as savings for one year and will not affect your income related or means tested benefits during this time, such as UC.

However, where benefits have been underpaid because of:

* an official error
* an error on point of law

Any payments over £5,000 can be disregarded for the length of the claim or until the award ends.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.