× Members

PIP - review success (no f2f; no MR, no appeal)

More
11 months 1 week ago #284741 by BenefitsBod
(A good news) story....

Having had more than a decade of less than pleasant experiences with claims & reviews for, variously, ESA / DLA / PIP, I thought some might like to hear of a case where a wholly unexpected success has left me disbelieving and shocked in equal measure, but for very different reasons to past outcomes.

In May this year, a scheduled PIP review commenced and I was unable to obtain any assistance to complete the review and the only "official" evidence was by way of a GP's letter which he provided above & beyond the call of duty (bearing in mind how stretched resources are in these mad times). With a less-than-positive frame of mind, I completed the review form with the least effort I have put into any claim or review form, ever. Some answers were "no change", others were almost throwaway simply because past experiences had indicated little notice was taken of the info in any case. Nope, I didn't even refer to B & W's guide(s) - er, sorry all :) :blink: .

I was fully expecting (but dreading) a referral to a f2f; previous experiences in my case being that f2f assessors were thoroughly dishonest. The irony of the last f2f (2019) was that it was so dishonest, not even the DWP dared to rely on the report for an ongoing appeal (which was ultimately partially successful). Having heard that resources had been diverted away from PIP reviews, I wasn't surprised as the weeks ticked by without hearing from the DWP or a f2f provider.

Every previous review had resulted in a reduction of award but this had always been reversed by way of either MR or appeal such that my award from day 1 of PIP has (eventually) been the enhanced rate of the Daily Living component. No mobility although I'm pretty sure that this * should * have been awarded since at least 2019 but I'll park that for this story.

As has been so often the case over so many years, it was like being under the sword of Damocles - an experience I know many other claimants will be all too familiar with.

Anyway, slow-forward to last Friday (20th Oct). I'd been out and got back to see post on the mat, including the ominous white envelope with the telling "Belfast" return address. Shaking and with a thumping somersaulting heart, I ripped open the envelope fully expecting to see info relating to a f2f referral. Gradually, it dawned the letter was a notification letter. It was taking a while for it to sink in. Firstly, I noticed the retention of the enhanced rate for the DL component. I still didn't dare absorb it, looking for signs the letter was just one of those errant computer produced letters systems sometimes spew out for no apparent reason. Then I noticed the review date as being 2029. Then, with some disbelief, I noticed the reference to the Mobility Component.

It finally dawned that a review had been carried out with no f2f being required and that I had been awarded the enhanced rate of both the DL AND Mobility Components. I sat stunned. Based on the facts and the law, it was the right award (IMO). But for this to have actually happened after so much grief over so many years was close to overwhelming. Today, 5 days later, it still feels surreal.

The award won't directly miraculously improve my health but what it does do is take a source of enormous stress out of my life and frees up some mental energy to focus on how I might be able to utilise the extra funding to try and get health services that a broken NHS cannot or will not provide.

I don't want to tread onto overtly political ground here but, suffice to say, the attitudes and policies of government over the past 13 years have contributed substantially to positively damaging my health, whether by way of the enormous stress of repeated benefit disputes and/or by way of myriad failures by parts of the NHS. Will a change of government change this? I don't know; none of us do. That said, I find it hard to believe that a government with a different complexion will be so utterly callous, cruel, inhumane and removed from the very real consequences of its actions as is demonstrably the case under the current regime.

Take care all (members, mods and those that run B & W alike).
The following user(s) said Thank You: bytespc, newcastle1949, KABTT , ivyfox, fibrofred, Chocolady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284755 by Chris
Hi BenefitsBod,

I was getting right into this - it was like a gripping novel to read, and in a way, did have a happy ending. I am so pleased to hear you were awarded Enhanced for both, it is brilliant news. I bet that was a great weight off your mind with the feelings you were experiencing? I think you've worded this brilliantly - a lot of care and dedication in the way you've said things.
Also like you said "It wont directly miraculously improve your health", but it can certainly contribute towards getting things like additional AIDS for example that you may require - that could help you, or not have as much pressure worrying about how to pay energy bills as much.

Thank you once again for the effort you've put into writing this.

Kind regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 6 days ago #284780 by fibrofred
Replied by fibrofred on topic PIP - review success (no f2f; no MR, no appeal)
Hi BenefitsBod

Absolutely delighted for you! I'm sure the relief is like huge bricks being lifted from your shoulders.

Really appreciate you sharing this news as it's very hard to find any info on timelines in Northern Ireland. My review also commenced in May and still waiting.

Could I ask if you received any texts/communication to update you throughout?

Wishing you all the best!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenefitsBod, Gary

More
11 months 6 days ago #284781 by Gary
Hi fibrofred

I was with a meeting with DWP today, if a claimant puts a mobile phone number on their claims form then DWP should send text messages at certain stages of a claim.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: fibrofred

More
11 months 6 days ago #284783 by BenefitsBod
Replied by BenefitsBod on topic PIP - review success (no f2f; no MR, no appeal)
@ fibrofred and Gary

No progress updates for me but I won't give the DWP my mobile number. Unusually for me, I did provide a landline number but with a rather punchy note written next to it informing the DWP they should assume all calls are recorded (yes, I have the equipment) :ohmy: . More widely than specifically the DWP, it's remarkable how much more civilised (and honest) public facing organisations tend to be when they know or suspect calls are being recorded....

@ Chris

re stress... Indeed. Had the outcome of the review ended up with yet another prolonged dispute (e.g. MR / appeal / possible f2f), it would have had a (further) profoundly detrimental effect on health. But, for once, I can try to focus more positively.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fibrofred

More
11 months 6 days ago #284785 by fibrofred
Replied by fibrofred on topic PIP - review success (no f2f; no MR, no appeal)
Many thanks Gary!

I did receive a text 12 weeks after receipt of the form from DfC to say they still had the form but was interested if, for example, they text to advise if/when the form moves from DfC to Capita thereby getting a little notice of when to expect an assessment. I guess I just need to have more patience.

Best regards, FIbrofred

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.