× Members

Warm home discount scheme

More
11 months 1 week ago #284689 by 25megroup
Warm home discount scheme was created by 25megroup
Does anyone know the criteria for the warm home discount scheme this year as its a little confusing, i had a client phone British Gas to be told they did not need to apply as it would be automatically applied to their account as they are on ESA, but when read the gov.uk website it says only people on pension credit will be awarded and everyone else must apply? so are they required to apply? confusing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284712 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Warm home discount scheme
Hi 25megroup,

I have also asked my supplier about this - It is very confusing. I've been told it's based on the energy being high use and the square meters of your property and the energy rating as per the certificate. It has me baffled also, as there's no way to apply online for people based in England, only a phone number to ring, but that number is for to ring, if you haven't received it by sometime in February. It's the warm home discount line. I got mine in 2020, 2021, was declined in 2022 despite no change in circumstances, and I'm expecting to be declined this year too, as the govt has changed all the criteria, but still say if you're receiving certain benefits, you will get a letter between October and January, but even with the letter, I still can't imagine that it makes much sense for the qualifying criteria.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 1 week ago #284725 by wibblum
Replied by wibblum on topic Warm home discount scheme
Hope it's OK to chip in here - the criteria for getting it seems to be changing every year since they decided to 'improve' it last year. I've been on ESA since 2002 (income-related since '03) and although I always had to apply for it I used to get WHD with no problem every year since it was introduced.

Then last year when the qualifying rules were changed, I was told I was no longer eligible even though nothing had changed for me. This was not fully explained to me, but my own research revealed that it was because under the change of ruling 'my' property (which is actually a housing association property) fell just outside the threshold to qualify (by a single point!) whether I was in receipt of benefits or not. This was apparently 'fairer' than the old system.

Now this year I've just been sent a letter telling me that I am eligible again (and the money has already been put in my energy account), even though again, nothing has changed for me as far as I'm concerned. Again, this happened with no real explanation as to why - although looking on the 'net it seems that receipt of (certain) benefits or low income has been quietly factored back in to the eligibility criteria.

So it appears that the criteria appears to have changed yet again this year for whatever reason they've decided to pull out of a hat this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
11 months 1 week ago #284728 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Warm home discount scheme
Hi wibblum

The following information was in last weeks Touchbase newsletter;

Warm Home Discount Scheme for Winter 2023/24

The Warm Home Discount (WHD) helpline opened for calls from 16 October (0800 030 9322). The WHD provides a £150 rebate onto electricity bills for eligible low-income households in Great Britain.

Scheme reforms mean that different rules apply in England, Wales and Scotland. Eligibility is determined by an individual’s circumstances on the qualification date (13 August 2023). Recipients of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit will be eligible for a WHD in England, Wales and Scotland if they are a named account holder with a participating electricity supplier.

Recipients of other means-tested benefits, including Tax Credits, may also be eligible for a WHD in England and Wales if they meet the Government’s criteria relating to home energy costs (determined by property characteristics). Letters will be issued to eligible and potentially eligible people by mid-January with more information.

People living in Scotland and in receipt of certain other benefits may be able to claim a discount direct from their energy supplier.

See the Warm Home Discount Scheme for more information. www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
11 months 1 week ago #284748 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Warm home discount scheme
Hi Gary,

It still seems confusing by the not knowing whether you'll receive a letter or not. I've had WHD twice in 2020, and 2021, but declined last year, and not sure as to whether to call the number, because as you said "It's up until mid January" that they can contact you by post. So I think from my understanding, it's just another case of playing the waiting game and seeing if a letter arrives ? I much prefer being able to enter my details online to see if I'm eligible. I asked my energy supplier (Octopus), and they sent me a link, but it just kept saying that my property wasn't registered in Scotland. I think the government really need to start clarifying things better.

Regards, Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.