× Members

Benefits Question

More
11 months 1 week ago #284605 by Kittiwake
Benefits Question was created by Kittiwake
Hello!
I have a question which is mostly related Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance, so I know it may not be able to be answered, but I genuinely don't know where to turn, so I thought it might be worth a go. (But apologies if it's inappropriate to ask here!)

I get ESA and PIP as well as Housing Benefit.
I am single and live in a privately rented one-bedroom flat.
My landlord has just landed me with a rent increase of £150 per month, which I can't afford in the long term.
However, I am also pregnant.

My understanding is that once I have a child I will be eligible for the 2 bedroom rate of Local Housing Allowance, but I can't seem to find clear information about whether I would be able to stay in my one bedroom flat but receive the 2 bedroom rate of Housing Benefit.

The Entitled To website says that the number of bedrooms you actually have doesn't matter - for example, if you are entitled to the 3 bedroom LHA you could still get Housing Benefit for 3 bedrooms, even if you only have 2 (www.entitledto.co.uk/help/local-housing-allowance).

However, I just did a live chat with the CAB and they told me that I couldn't claim two bedroom housing benefit unless I moved to a two-bedroom property... So now I'm completely confused!

What I would like is to stay in my one-bedroom flat with my baby, but receive 2 bedroom rate housing benefit (which would mean I could afford the rent increase), but I just don't know which information about whether this is possible is correct!

Does anybody have any info? Or any ideas about where I could go to find out for sure?

Thanks very much!

P.S - I know that I will have to report a change in circumstances and this will trigger a change to Universal Credit, but I think the Local Housing Allowance rules should stay the same, even if I move to UC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284620 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Benefits Question
Hi Kittiwake

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

You are correct your question is outside the remit of the forum, if I had to guess I would follow Citizen Advice but to double check I would contact Shelter helpline: 0808 800 4444 england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.