× Members

Atos 'invite' me to a F2F after PIP Review, URGENT advice please

• wibblum
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 months 1 week ago #284596 by wibblum
Hi,

After filling in and sending off the short PIP review form ATOS (or whatever they're branding themselves as this week) have 'invited' me to attend a face-to-face 'consultation' in Manchester City centre on 30th October, despite my very clear and very detailed statement that I suffer from Autism (with all it's attendant sensory disturbance issues), Social Phobia, and chronic physical mobility issues. I do not leave the house except for unavoidable medical appointments (and only then under very strictly controlled conditions) and I have not travelled further than 3 miles from home in well over a decade (Manchester is 12 miles away).

I know it's foolish to try and second-guess these people, but the worst I was expecting was a telephone consultation. This news has sent me into a blind panic and I don't know what to do. I have no support at the moment (I am currently on a waiting list for a support worker) and there literally is no-one to accompany me to a face-to-face. I am having a meltdown even just thinking about it. My GP surgery wouldn't be able to provide a support letter in time to stop it.

All I know is that I simply cannot, under any circumstances, attend a face-to-face far from home. What are my options?

If it comes to it, I will not attend and then appeal, that is how desperately I feel about the situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284601 by BIS
Hi Wibblum

If you can manage a phone call, ring ATOS and ask them to change the assessment type to a phone assessment, giving the reasons you have stated below. They are certainly not carrying out a lot of face-to-face assessments, so you have been unlucky to be offered one. If they refuse you are allowed to put in a second request for a change. After that you would have to accept what they offered you. I understand you saying you wouldn't attend a face-to-face one - so let's hope it doesn't get that far. At least three members have reported success in getting their assessment type changed from face-to-face this year.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: wibblum, KABTT

• wibblum
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 months 1 week ago #284604 by wibblum
Thanks, it'll take a few days to be able to work up the courage to even just telephone them (I'm great on paper/any written medium, but hopeless with actual real life social interaction) but I'll try that and have to just hope for the best.

In the meantime if I contact the support service I'm with and tell them about this, maybe there'll be a miracle and they can provide me with a short-term case worker to get me through this?

IF it comes to it and ATOS won't budge, what would happen if I just didn't show up on the day?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
11 months 1 week ago #284609 by BIS
Hi Wibblum

I would be very surprised if ATOS refused to budge, but if you didn't turn up on the day, your papers would be returned to the DWP, saying that you didn't participate. If Atos refuses to budge, you can immediately contact the DWP and say that you tried to get the assessment type changed, and it's not reasonable to expect anyone who hasn't travelled more than three miles in a decade to attend. I would also at that point write to your MP.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• wibblum
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 months 1 week ago #284613 by wibblum
Thanks, I will call but I'll also put it to them in writing (using the template in the PIP guide as a base point) just to cover myself. And I'll keep a copy to show the DWP if it comes to it.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, in their 'invite' letter ATOS makes no mention at all of the option to ask for a review of the type of assessment you'll get.

It's almost as if they don't want people to know about it... :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
11 months 1 week ago #284617 by Gary
Hi wibblum

good luck, let us know the outcome, it will be useful for fellow members.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid