× Members

Regarding Preparing food descriptors?

More
11 months 1 week ago #284583 by SirSupaDupa
Regarding Preparing food descriptors? was created by SirSupaDupa
Hi there,

So i'm just a little confused regarding the food desc.

I suffer from neuropathy in the feet (i have a stool from OT as i can't stand for long) and hands , I'm not able to hold on to objects that long (15 seconds roughly max) before I have to let go off them, and i have a lot of supporting evidence. My wife helps me with the chopping and prep.

So i'm mostly like looking to go for: 4 points Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal.

However, if i was asked about can I use a microwave, well yes i'm able to place a plate in the microwave because it doesn't take very long with holding easily with 15 seconds before the pain is too much.

Would this then not score me: 2 points instead of 4 .Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave.

Me not being able to chop up and prep meals in a safe or timely manner without having to let go of whatever i'm holding, would this suffice for the 4 points or would i get the 2 because I can use a microwave?

Thank!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284595 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Regarding Preparing food descriptors?
Hi SSD,

I believe for PIP, your points are awarded based on 50% or more of the time, what you can't do (over the week).

From what I've read with you mentioning 15 seconds, then this is likely to be an every day occurence where you struggle, which is pretty much 100% of the time I'd say, so you're likely to require your wifes help pretty much all of the time, which is what I'd focus on to score yourself the correct award of points.

Your 15 seconds, would still leave 45 seconds in the minute of what you couldn't do, which is still more than 50%.

Whilst using the microwave is just pushing a button or turning a dial, me personally, I still believe that putting an item into the microwave has to be taken into consideration, but once again, it's all about the "how long can you do this for?"

That's my opinion from what I know on PIP

They don't make them easy to answer - but maybe's one of the other mods may know how better to help you for gaining points.

Hope this helps you a little.

The guides on here are also fab for helping you choose what is the correct option.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SirSupaDupa

More
11 months 1 week ago #284622 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Regarding Preparing food descriptors?
Hi SirSupaDupa,
Descriptor 1 requires you to be able to cook and prepare a meal from fresh ingredients. Even if you use a microwave to cook, you still need to be able to peel and chop!(Which I'm not sure you are able to do safely, because your grip is limited and there must be a risk of you cutting yourself with a knife if it slips. )
Realistically, I think you should also consider the whole cooking process.
Peel/chop veg
Put in pan with water
Put pan on heat- cook
Drain veg - could use slotted spoon
However- think also whether you need to move around the kitchen- how do you get chopped veg into the pan, and where is the sink in relation to the cooker?

Then obviously you might have eg meat to cook, and maybe gravy- this would require staying nearby the cooker to stir the gravy,and turn the meat etc
There is also knowing when food is cooked and managing cooking times, and general food hygiene/safety.
How much of these processes can you perform yourself?
What help do you always have, and why?
What do you do that might cause a safety risk, cuts burns, dropping plates or pans and the associated risks?
Consider also
Acceptable standard - dropping things and making slips hazards might comprise not acceptable, as will significant pain, breathlessness, fatigue etc.
Repetition ie as many times as reasonably required throughout the whole day
Reasonable time
ie no more than twice that of able bodied person

If you can't fulfil all of the above 4 criteria then you may not be able to cook and prepare food. (1 f)
This may also be the case if your wife performs most of the cooking processes because you are unsafe, too slow etc. If what you contribute is very little - she is the chef and you are not really an assistant, then you "can't cook and prepare food".
I hope this helps.

LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.