× Members

Assessment report form and tribunal route

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284352 by Brian
Hi all,
My Daughter had recently had her PIP assessment for renewal and has lost the mobility and enhanced living components. We asked for a mandatory reconsideration and it was upheld the original decrease. We then asked for a copy of the original report prior to asking for a tribunal.
Upon reviewing it we noticed a lot of inconsistencies and misinterpretations from the phone call.

I was present and are named on the report but was told I couldn’t talk or give answers but I prompted her a lot and she was fidgety on the call using a fidget spinner a pop it fidget toy.
When the call ended she broke down and was tearful and uncommunicative for a couple of days .

I’m unsure due to my suffering long Covid and brain fog of how best to proceed I can’t seem to grasp what to do any input gratefully received.

Thanks B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284362 by BIS
Hi Brian

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter's PIP has been reduced and that the Mandatory Reconsideration was unsuccessful. It probably doesn't help, but most MRs are turned down, and your chances were narrowed in that you hadn't got a copy of the assessment report. Without that, you were always going to struggle to tell them they'd made the wrong decision.

So where do you go from here? Firstly there's the issue of trying to get her claim reinstated to the same level as before. You have one month from the date on the Mandatory Reconsideration decision letter to put in for an Appeal. If that time has already passed then you have to apply to put in for a late Appeal. You have up to 12 months in total to put in for the Appeal.

You are entitled to a telephone call from the DWP to explain why your MR was disallowed. They should contact your daughter automatically - about it, but many people report never receiving that phone call. You may want to ring and have it, because the DWP are supposed to explain why they think your daughter's health has improved. I am guessing that from the toy she had while the phone call was going on at least one of her conditions is life long and so there will not have been an improvement! You might find it useful in showing the DWP's lack of understanding. However, don't worry if it's too much for you. I understand the brain fog will be making things challenging.

We have a Guide to PIP appeals that will walk you through the process. The panel will have more experience than the DWP, but don't assume when putting your evidence together that they understand your daughter's condition/s. You need to tell them and make sure that you refer back to the information you provided at the time of her review.

benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

There are a couple of other guides that you may find useful and a video if you need to use any case law to support your daughter's claim.

Don't be daunted. Once you have put in the Appeal, you can update it.

You can do the application online if you wish, and you can go back in and make changes up to three weeks before any tribunal date.

I can't tell you how long you must wait for a Tribunal date. A couple of members have been told by the Tribunal Service recently that they have a backlog to deal with, but it can vary in different areas of the country, so this is something you will need to enquire about locally.

I hope that helps. Come back and ask if you have any further questions and we will try and help.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Brian

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284368 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Assessment report form and tribunal route
Will try to work on it over the weekend and read and watch the advice . Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.