× Members

Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284332 by Nessnoss
Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment was created by Nessnoss
So today I received a payment into my bank account saying it was a DWP PIP . So instead of being delighted money was in my account , I panicked as it wasn’t expected so I thought before I spend any of it I'd better call PIP enquiry and find out if it was a legitimate payment and it was….. I was told it was a leap payment from 2008-2019 . Although haven’t received the letter in the post yet so I may have misheard the dates.

The PIP advisor on the phone basically said that if he was being honest he doesn’t really understand how the DWP leap payment works but said a letter has been sent with the explanation.

So I’m going to be honest I didn’t even know what a leap payment, I kind of remember a article a few years back about a new law in relation to how the DWP assessment mental health and mobility element of DLA/PIP.

So I guess my question is has anyone else recieved a leap payment?
As I did not fill out any forms or anything so it was just about of a surprise. .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284333 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment
Hi Nessnoss

Thank you for your post, I do remember a while ago we were inundated with enquiries about Leap claims. I did see a question a few weeks ago, but they are now quite rare.

DWP have sent many of these letters out! Basically DWP failed to apply the law stipulated by the Judges in respect of Planning Journeys, and naturally as a result many claimants were underscored and didn't get Mobility PIP awards.

It would be quite beneficial to forum members if you can let us know what the DWP wrote in their letter to you minus any personal data.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284348 by Nessnoss
Replied by Nessnoss on topic Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment
I will do. Haven’t received letter as yet but our post is always delayed. Like I said it was all very random

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284361 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment
Hi Nessnoss

It's good to hear that you have received the money - I thought they had actually completed the Leap payments. Glad to know that I was wrong. As Gary has said it will be great if you have the time to tell us what the letter says once it arrives.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 1 week ago #284635 by Nessnoss
Replied by Nessnoss on topic Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment
Hi So I have finally received the letter in the post regarding the leap payment so I have included it below for anyone interested….

There have been some changes in Personal Independence
Payment (PIP) law that affects how the Department for Work and Pensions decides PIP claims. We are looking again at PIP claims to find out which ones are affected.
This letter explains if and how these changes affect you.

I have looked again at your PIP for the following dates:
This award is affected. Your rate of PIP has increased because of these changes in law. I looked again at the information we have on your PIP claims) including any new information you provided at my request. This told me the type of help, and how much help you needed. I used this information to look at whether you could carry out 12 activities and the amount of help you needed.

I looked again at all your PIP claims that may be affected because of changes in the law on how PIP claims are decided. MM v DWP tribunal judgment. This relates to how we consider the support someone needs to engage with other people face-to-face.
If someone needs 'prompting', by way of reminding, encouraging or explaining, from a person trained or experienced in assisting people in social situations, we now consider whether this is 'social support'.

The change also clarifies that social support is an ongoing need to help engage with other people. It does not need to be during or immediately before the activity. It applies from 06 April 2016

I made my decision using information about your health condition or disability including details of any treatment, medication, test results and symptoms. I have looked at the information you provided and changed the points previously chosen as the previous decision was based on an error in law.

I have decided that you needed social support to engage with other people. This has increased your award from 06 April 2016 to 09 September 2019 as you have now been awarded the enhanced rate for daily living activities during this period.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284641 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Unexpected DWP LEAP Payment
Hi Nessnoss,

Well done, and thank you for the additional information - It is valuable to know.

Regards, Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.