× Members

ESA & SDP

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284330 by Joanne P
ESA & SDP was created by Joanne P
Hi Team,

I started claiming new style ESA CB Support Group since Oct 2020. I was only successful with PiP mobility standard in June 2020 and I scored 7 points for care at the tribunal hearing.

CAB advised me on the pros of claiming UC during lockdown, the extra £20 pw & COL payments. However, she also said if I did receive pip care, It would be better not to claim UC.

So, I stayed with ESA CB and now also receive a private pension of £97 pcm.

I moved to an adapted bungalow in Oct 2022, previously from a house. I Only managed to return my review form in Jan 2023, took me that long to fill it in. I’ve had my PIP interview by telephone last Thursday, it lasted 1 hour 30 mins. The assessor seemed fair but I struggled to explain some of my problems.

On Saturday, I fell over in the bedroom and have a large deep wound to my forehead, which took nearly an hour to be sutured by the nurse.

I then realised not only have I forgotten to tell the assessor about my falling over about 2-3 times a week, when I checked the copy of my PIP form I hadn’t thought to mention it in there either. I’ve also forgotten to tell my GP during tel consultations & also the neurologist back in 2022. On Monday morning I rang PIP and spoke to a lovely lad called Ash to ask him if he could memo my claim assessor with this information about my falls. To my surprise he tells me there’s no point as I’ve been awarded enhanced PIP for both care & mobility.

My question is am I entitled to claim Severe Disability Premium? As that is what the CAB lady previously told me and was the reason as to maybe not to claim UC. If so, who do I contact to claim SDP, is it through ESA? And how do I initiate a claim for SDP.

I will obviously advise Housing Benefits & Council Tax Support of my new PIP award, but I currently only pay a small amount.

Due to my neurological issues, it’s extremely difficult for me to find these answers on the forum myself, so that is why I have started this post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. As I type this I can only do it by keeping one eye closed. But if i am looking long distance I can see fine with my glasses on. Hope this helps you understand why I need your help to advise me about SDP.

Many thanks,
Joanne Peters
(This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284331 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA & SDP
Hi Joanne P

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Congratulations on your award which will take a great weight off your shoulders.

To be eligible for the Severe Disability Premium you need to meet the following criteria;

- You need to be receiving or entitled to (with the SDP) Income Related ESA
- You need to be receiving a qualifying benefit such as a PIP Daily Living award (there are other benefits)
- You need to be living alone or considered to be living alone
- No one must be receiving Carers Allowance against the qualifying benefit

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation, as you receive New Style ESA, I do not believe that you can claim SDP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284346 by Joanne P
Replied by Joanne P on topic ESA & SDP
Thank you Gary, that’s disappointing to hear, but thank you for your quick reply.

Joanne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.