× Members

ESA to UC

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284131 by gwrman
ESA to UC was created by gwrman
I am blind and have a guide dog. I’m in receipt of ESA with Severe Disability Premium and I also receive PIP with both levels on the enhanced rate. I know the DWP is doing managed migrations to get us all on UC. I believe when they do this you still receive ESA until such time as UC is finalised for you, but I might be wrong. I am moving (hopefully) from England to Scotland in the next few weeks when I have been given a date. From what I understand when I tell the DWP of my change of address I will then have to apply for UC and also I think I cannot put in a new housing benefit claim to the council in Scotland as that has to be now be done as part of UC and I think the same applies to council tax relief, I assume that is part of UC now. Could someone just clarify things for me. And also if I do have to go and claim UC will my ESA that I currently receive just be cut off and I receive nothing (apart from my pip- I know in Scotland it’s ADP Adult Disability Premium but as far as I’m aware as I have a current indefinite PIP award that won’t change it will just be transferred to them) until my UC is sorted out which is probably weeks or months of waiting. Thanks for any help or advice that can be given. It has taken me some time to do this post as I rely on dictating the text and I hope I get it all correct. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284182 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA to UC
Hi gwrman

Thank you for your post.

I will try and put your mind at ease.

As you are in receipt of ESA and in the support group, make sure you apply for UC before your ESA stops, you should then get the LCWRA when you apply for UC without having to go through the assessment phase again saving you over £1k.

You are correct, unless you are moving into supported accommodation, when you move to Scotland and need help with your housing costs then you will have to apply for UC and the housing element.

Council tax support is not done through UC, you have to apply to your local authority, I am not too sure of the rules in Scotland, I believe they are similar to England and Wales.

Your PIP will not change, but your PIP will change over to ADP.

Good luck with your move.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284191 by gwrman
Replied by gwrman on topic ESA to UC
Thank you Gary. The bungalow I have been offered is a Council sheltered bungalow on a sheltered scheme and the property is already adapted (wet room level access etc). When I apply for UC what will happen about my Severe Disability Premium which I currently get ? I know that under the “managed migration” from ESA to UC it is meant to be carried over but from what I have seen and the RNIB have told me making the new claim for UC I am unlikely to get the SDP carried over so I’m in a quandary about that. Also I don’t know what my level of payment with UC will be and if it will be the same as what I currently get under ESA, it’s a big worry for me and for lots of others out there. Thanks for any help or information, Tony

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284226 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA to UC
Hi gwrman

You are correct, SDP will not carry over to UC but you should get LCWRA worth £390.06 pm, as you are in the support group providing you apply for UC before your ESA claim stops.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judy

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284375 by AshleyMcab
Replied by AshleyMcab on topic ESA to UC
Couple of observations

1. As you were on SDP you should be entitled to Transitional Protection when you claim UC.

Your PIP claim should not result in a transfer to ADP due to purely moving to Scotland, however we have heard of cases of this happening in error by the DWP.

All PIP claims will eventually transfer to ADP however but at moment this should only happen if reporting a change of circumstances in your health or due a PIP review or your PIP claim is due to end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284487 by AshleyMcab
Replied by AshleyMcab on topic ESA to UC
Hi apologies but moving to Scotland from elsewhere in UK does result in PIP to Adult Disability Payment transfer - in my defence this was not mentioned in Social Security webinars to support organisations on PIP transfers and in their general documentation available on their website.

After a lot of digging and help from CPAG if a PIP claimant moves from the rest of the UK to Scotland, this does trigger a transfer via a ‘determination without application’

See social Security Scotland Decision Maker guide para 4 in following document

www.socialsecurity.gov.scot/asset-storag...m-and-vice-versa.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.