× Members

Telephone assessment

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284128 by Clara
Telephone assessment was created by Clara
I have had a telephone assessment this week and it was one of the most degrading things I have ever experienced and went on for two and a half hours. I was exhausted by the end.

Some questions
Why don’t you take prescription medication for your pain?
Why don’t you take over the counter medication?
What do you use your phone for? Er … to speak to someone . What else? I don’t know. Do you text? Sometimes I suppose.I don’t actually talk to anyone unless I have to as I have have severe anxiety and paranoia.

I know some things have improved and so I said so, but the overall picture is that I am extremely unwell and in a great deal of pain every day. I am worried some things will count against me as it’s immense pressure when asked if you do something and you can’t work out the number of times or distances or just get confused about the whole thing. Because I wasn’t sectioned after a Mental Health Assessment after begging them not to and agreeing to take whatever medication they wanted me to (even though I didn’t want it) it looks as if things have improved now. As they kept saying are things better, the same or worse.
Yes better as in I wasn’t sectioned. Relatively speaking , no I have suicide ideation every day.

It’s all designed to trap and trip you up and take you off it. But society doesn’t want you either , no one wants to give someone with my issues a job. The doctors think I can’t hold down a job or it would make me worse at present. So you are trapped in a system where you are supposed to live on fresh air, which of course fuels thoughts of suicide as a way out. It’s a never ending circle of fear, anxiety and stress which which makes it even more unlikely someone will get better.

When will society actually wake up and provide proper support and a real safety net for people to attempt some kind of work knowing that if it fails it will be ok. If that’s was actually in existence, the success rate of people coping with some kind of work and getting off benefits would rise.

Yet, we live in a world of people owning multiple houses and cars and designer gear, while others beg for something to survive.

I am ruminating and anxious and am terrified my support will be taken away. I am worried to step outside the door in case I’m watched and and I walk 60 metres instead of 50. Sorry for the long post, I am just terrified of the outcome as I know I’m not well enough to work yet and if I try and it goes wrong next time I will be sectioned or even worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284152 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Telephone assessment
Just sending you a hug Clara, all you say is so true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clara

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284153 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Telephone assessment
Hi Clara

I'm sorry that your telephone assessment was so degrading. I'm not surprised you were so exhausted - two and a half hours is a long time.

I'm not trying to defend the system, but they commonly ask any claimant with a long-term pain condition about the medication they take. Although it may be one indication of someone's pain levels, unfortunately, assessors don't always understand why claimants may not be taking medication, even though there are accepted reasons for not doing so.

There's nothing more you can do now apart from waiting for the outcome, and I hope it will be better than you fear. I won't say try not to worry, because until that letter arrives in your letterbox, you will. However, if your stress is overwhelming please pick up the phone to the Samaritans or anyone else and don't stew about it alone.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Chocolady, Clara

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284155 by Gaddy
Replied by Gaddy on topic Telephone assessment
Big hug from me too Clara I am currently having my ESA reviewed and fihave found just completing the form has triggered my eating disorder and caused me huge anxiety. I know its so hard to be in limbo while waiting for the decision, pleased that you shared your thoughts though as we are a suportive bunch on here and totally get it. Keep us posted.

Gaddy
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Chocolady, Clara

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284241 by Chocolady
Replied by Chocolady on topic Telephone assessment
I feel your pain Im in the same boat. My assessment was a bizarre experience and felt like the hp was making assertions which I didn’t say and trying to trip me up even though I provided lots of medical info. It seems like you can’t win sometimes. I have pain everyday but my drs are telling me not to take anti inflammatories because of my kidney issues and advertise against taking opioids on their own website. I’m now going to have to ring them as they wont reissue a painkiller I take occasionally due to its strength. But dwp base things on your meds and drs input! I was asked how often I see my gp/consultant for instance. It’s not that often as I have a long term condition with not much they can do. Keep strong and remember everyone on here is rooting for you and the great mods have your back! Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, BIS, Clara

More
11 months 1 week ago #284661 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Telephone assessment
I have received their letter. They have stopped my PIP and said I have been overpaid. The report is full of lies that are just factually incorrect. It says I am no medication for anxiety and yet I am prescribed an antipsychotic. It says I have no medical input yet I have a care coordinator and I am under a psychiatrist. It says I can interact with people yet I explained I cannot speak to or see family members without getting distressed. I had someone with me on the call (my care coordinator) yet it states I have no issues interacting.

I don’t want to write here how this has made me feel as I don’t want to trigger distress for anyone else. I am in a body and mind that doesn’t work and just existing is a daily torture . I now have nothing to live on.

They want people to be off benefits yet paradoxically this kind of treatment means people are less likel6 to get well or be fit enough to work . I have no idea how long an appeal takes and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to live on in the meantime.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.