× Members

ESA contributions based and UC

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283930 by JLP
ESA contributions based and UC was created by JLP
Hi, I’ve been claiming what was incapacity benefit and is now contributions based ESA. I’m also in the support group. I’ve been out of the assessment for a number of years. I see now they are putting people on UC will this mean I will be converted over I’m totally confused? I thought before that if I was in the support group I would be left on ESA. But it looks like this has changed now. Can anyone advise me please. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283944 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA contributions based and UC
Hi JLP

As you are in receipt of a contribution based benefit then you will stay as you are, for now.

For claimants in receipt of a legacy means tested benefit, will at some stage be asked to apply for UC.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLP

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283945 by JLP
Replied by JLP on topic ESA contributions based and UC
Thank you. Does that mean I will have to go on it eventually?

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283949 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA contributions based and UC
Hi JLP

We do not know at the moment, DWP are talking of a contribution based Health Element, I would therefore assume that existing claimants would stay as they are.

Unfortunately I cannot predict the future, if I could I would win the lottery each week ;-)

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283984 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic ESA contributions based and UC
Hi. I'm in a similar position. I've been receiving ESA contribution based for about 10yrs. I was sent an ESA50 form to complete for a review. That was a couple of months ago. I phoned DWP to chase as I hadn't heard anything. I was told that I was being switched to UC and my claim was progressing. I would receive a letter about an appointment after 16th October. Now I'm stressed. I thought I would stay on ESA. I don't know why either. Really worried now.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #283994 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA contributions based and UC
S

There is no legal process that allows the DWP to switch an ESA claimant or indeed any other benefit, to UC. In all cases, the claimant must apply for UC themselves.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.