× Members

Capability For Work Questionnaire

More
10 months 1 day ago #285777 by gyrfalcon
Replied by gyrfalcon on topic Capability For Work Questionnaire
It’s been four months since I returned my ESA Capability for Work Questionnaire. I requested a paper-based assessment if possible, or a telephone assessment because of my conditions. But heard nothing from the DWP until today.

Today I received a letter from the Health Assessment Advisory Service, with an appointment for a video assessment at the end of next week.

I find the idea of such a thing very stressful, as I only have my mobile phone to use. I will have to get someone to set this up for me and put the camera in an appropriate position to accommodate my needs and make the interview viable.

It says the interview will last from 20 minutes to an hour, but may take longer if necessary.

It seems on the day I will have to type some details into the screen to prove who I am, including showing ID to camera—passport or driving license, a utility bill or birth certificate—no doubt assessed and scored as having been capable of such a physical action.

I’m hoping there are no technical hitches which ruin the interview and mean I have to be assessed again at a further date.

It’s all so unsettling, but I will try to report back on how things went.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 day ago #285783 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Capability For Work Questionnaire
Hi gyrfalcon

My brother in law was meant to have a video assessment but on the day there was a technical hitch so they ended up doing a telephone assessment, so if things go pear shaped on the day do not let it stress you out.

Remember get yourself prepared;

If you have a look at our WCA guide at the link below you will see that there are a number of pages which include advice on telephone assessments. Yes, a lot of the questions are those that would have been asked if you had a face to face assessment. help-for-claimants/esa1

- Write yourself a bullet point list of any particular points you want to get over, so you have it by you during the assessment, tick them as you cover them during the assessment.
- have paper and pens to hand to make any notes such as the assessors name, date, time
- Record the assessment surreptitiously. (Never trust that there won't be a problem with their equipment!)
- make sure you are seated in a comfortable chair, you are going to be there a while and at table to make notes
- if you can't hear or understand what is being asked then ask them to repeat the question
- don’t let the assessor rush you and get you flustered.
- if you are asked to do something which you cannot do, don't be afraid to say no, and explain why you cannot do something.
- don't forget to have a glass of water if needed so you don't get a dry throat and lose your voice!

Don’t forget to contact DWP once you receive your decision letter and ask for a copy of the assessors report called a UC85.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
10 months 23 hours ago #285812 by gyrfalcon
Thank you for the guidance and information, Gary. Much appreciated.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286657 by gyrfalcon
I meant to update on the outcome of this video interview/claim sooner, but new, additional health issues for me got in the way. So apologies for the delay.

I had my first ever video interview for benefits in early December, two days after I suffered what at the time the A&E department I visited called a TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack). I went ahead with the video interview anyway, despite still being affected by my recent health event. My fear was the delay or stoppage of my claim if I didn’t attend the interview. 

It transpired after a recent MRI scan following the “TIA” that I had actually had a minor stroke—a rare cerebellar infarction, for which I am still being tested fairly extensively.

Whether the stress of my impending video interview brought this minor stroke on is hard to say. But I had been anxious in the days leading up to the online appointment. 

I used my mobile phone camera for the interview. It was a bit fiddly to set up, but help was available. I’m quite tech savvy, but I’m sure for those who are not, preparation for such an interview could be quite challenging.

I informed the interviewer (a doctor) that since my recent reassessment claim I had had a TIA (I hadn’t at that stage had a diagnosis of minor stroke/cerebellar infarction). She noted that but said she would concentrate on the primary condition(s) I was reporting in my claim. 

The doctor was courteous and seemed to listen while inputting data quickly. It was as if she’d already decided regarding my claim. The actual interview was less stressful once begun than I imagined it would be. It concluded after about twenty minutes, and she said a letter from the DWP would notify me of the outcome. It was a great relief once the interview was over. I immediately accepted there was nothing to be done except relax into the circumstances and await the decision.

A week later, I received written confirmation that, following my recent reassessment, my ESA claim would continue until my retirement date in July. And for this, I’m profoundly grateful.

I’m also very grateful for the essential advice and compassionate support offered by this tremendous and humane website. As a resource for those navigating the minefield of the benefit system, it’s second to none. As a place of understanding and empathy for all those affected by the need to claim benefit support, it’s a lifeline. Long may it continue.

Happy New Year everybody and a big thank you to all. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid