× Members

Capability For Work Questionnaire

More
1 year 3 months ago #281324 by gyrfalcon
Capability For Work Questionnaire was created by gyrfalcon
I get my State Pension in July 2024. I will be 66.

Today I received a ESA Capability for Work Questionnaire, to be returned by August 1, 2023. They advise I post it seven days before the due date. Which gives me three weeks to complete the form.

I’ve received ESA and PIP for some years, because of a heart condition, sarcoidosis and ME. Two years ago, I was reassessed for PIP (including telephone consultation) and awarded Standard Rate Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility until June 2025. The reassessment for PIP was rigorous and stressful.

I have meagre savings (less than £5k).

I have been depressed for some months for various reasons and, pathetic as it must seem, the thought of the reassessment process for ESA Capability for Work is more than I can currently bear.

My question is: as my pension is due in one year’s time, what would happen if I ended my ESA claim now, after all these years and used what little savings I have to live on, plus potential (offered) limited financial help from family and friends, until my pension is due? Would the DWP penalise me in someway? I don’t think I’d be doing anything wrong. Just avoiding the stress of reassessment.

I’m assuming my PIP would remain in place, as it is not means tested and reliant on ESA? Or is my current PIP eligibility dependent on my ESA record/previous assessment? Would I need to inform the DWP–PIP of a change in circumstance (closure of ESA claim)?

If I’m frugal and careful, I could pay my rent and manage my daily living for a year until my pension is due next summer. Perhaps I’d be eligible for a discount over the year on rent/council tax because of my PIP claim?

Unfortunately, t’s not possible for me to work as I am still too ill.

I hope this all makes sense. I’d be grateful for any guidance or advice anyone could offer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #281347 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Capability For Work Questionnaire
Hi gyrfalcon

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position. We have had several other members of B&W receiving the Capability for Work Questionnaire close to reaching State Pension Age.

Of course, it is entirely up to you what you decide to do. If you want to end your ESA now - you can do so. You can choose not to return the form, or you can contact them and say you're too unwell to send it back. The claim will be closed and it will not have an impact on your PIP.

I understand your reluctance to go through an assessment. One thing you could consider (if you can cope with it) is to fill out the form and put in a request with your form asking them to do a paper-based assessment. They may agree, in which case, if your ESA were ongoing for another year, you would receive the money, and would protect your savings. If they insist on doing a telephone assessment, you can always turn it down at that point and close your claim. As I say, you have to do what you can cope with, but I would try to hold on for a few weeks more money if you can.

If your ESA stops, you don't have to inform PIP.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
1 year 2 months ago #281383 by gyrfalcon
Replied by gyrfalcon on topic Capability For Work Questionnaire
Thank you very much for your quick reply and guidance, BIS. Very kind.
Your suggestions are a real help. I will try to galvanise spirit and energy and see where those take me.
Very best to you.

More
1 year 2 months ago #281824 by gyrfalcon
I’ve noticed on my current reassesment Capability for Work Questionnaire that I am currently trying to complete, that there is what I think is a new section that I don’t remember seeing in previous applications.

It’s the section about giving *Consent to notify your GP of the outcome of the WCA*.

It says: ‘You do not have to give your agreement. If you do not agree, it will not affect you claim for ESA. We will keep a record of the decision you make.’

There is a box to sign and tick your agreement. It says: ‘I agree to my doctor, or any other doctor treating me, being informed about the result of my Work Capibility Assessment’.

Is it important I agree to this? Couldl not signing it influence the assessors decision in any way? I don’t have a problem signing it. I just wonder what the implications are, either way..

More
1 year 2 months ago #281837 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Capability For Work Questionnaire
Hi gyrfalcon

It won't have any impact on the assessor's decision if you choose not to tick it. It's a personal decision. Some people don't want to sign it because of the words "any other doctor", and this information becomes part of your records which could be viewed by more than your GP.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 2 months ago #281839 by gyrfalcon
Thank. you, BIS.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid