× Members

ESA

More
1 day 21 hours ago #295009 by Firestone63
ESA was created by Firestone63
Good afternoon

I am on contributory ESA with disability premium top-up and on support group. My housing benefit is paid to local authority housing directly.

Recently, I have been sent a letter by Universal Credit requesting me to claim (only) my housing benefit payment via UC, as HB no longer paid after 3rd seeking October. I applied online, and 3 days later received an email to attend a work coach appointment. Is this because the disability premium top up is from income related ESA which is the one being moved to UC this year (but contributory ESA / new style ESA is being left as is at this time?).

I wondered how this will affect my ESA and will I have to sign a work commitment to continue to be paid HB and support ESA component?
Will I have to go through a work capability assessment, sooner or later, with UC?

Thank you for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 day 15 hours ago #295028 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA
Hi Firestone63

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

As you are in receipt of disability premiums, that tells me that you was getting CB ESA with a top up of IR ESA.

As you are receiving IR ESA you have been asked to apply for UC. You inform us that you are in the support group, therefore you should be placed in the LCWRA group without having to provide a fit note. You may at some stage be sent a new WCA form, as for the time frame, who knows.

When you apply for UC, your IR ESA will stop but your CB ESA will continue, this is paid fortnightly whereas UC is paid monthly. When DWP work out your UC allowance your CB ESA will be deducted £ for £. If you do not get PIP then you could be financially better off claiming UC.

In working out your UC allowance, you will get (SSA + HE + LCWRA less CB ESA)

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid