× Members

ESA / Tax Credits migration to UC

More
2 days 4 minutes ago #295000 by CAP
I received the migration notice letter a few weeks ago saying that my wife and myself need to apply for UC. I am on ESA and was receiving child tax credits and my wife was also named on the child tax credits, so she's also received a letter saying that both of us need to apply for UC. We are no longer entitled to child tax credits as our 19 year old son is no longer in full time education. So being as it was the child tax credits that triggered the migration letter, will I still have to migrate to UC at this point in time being as it is now just income related ESA and not tax credits that I am in receipt of?
I know I can not just ignore the letter or my ESA will stop ,but was wondering whether I will still have to move over to UC now or not being as if you are just in receipt of income related ESA at this point in time you are not being forced to migrate to UC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 day 16 hours ago #295025 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA / Tax Credits migration to UC
Hi CAP

Unfortunately you cannot ignore, yes you will have to apply for UC.

Depending on your circumstances, we would advise you to discuss with your local Welfare Rights Organisation the best time to apply for UC.

Different benefit claimants are being sent invitation letters at different times.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 day 15 hours ago #295030 by CAP
Replied by CAP on topic ESA / Tax Credits migration to UC
Hi Gary,
Thank you for your reply. I have had the migration notice which states that I must claim by 22nd November so I don't think it's a case of seeking advice as to when is the best time for me to apply for UC. I am within that group of people that is /was on tax credits and income related esa which are being sent the migration notices ,but I am no longer eligable for tax credits. So is it worth me ringing up the DWP to ask whether I still have to migrate now or at a later date ?
I'm pretty sure they will say that I still need to migrate as at some point everyone will have to , but I would rather it be at a later date.

More
20 hours 51 minutes ago #295048 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic ESA / Tax Credits migration to UC
Hi CAP

Sorry, we can't tell you whether it's worth it or not. The only people who can answer whether you can delay the process or not is the DWP.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid