× Members

PIP 1/2 points away from enhanced

More
1 week 1 day ago #294796 by proj1
PIP 1/2 points away from enhanced was created by proj1
Hello,

I have recently put in a claim for PIP for mobility problems including frequent spurts of weakness and bladder weakness, along with other issues that cause such difficulties with mobility and daily tasks.

The guides and forum posts from Benefits and Work have been absolutely invaluable in our claims and we are very grateful for them.

I have been awarded 11 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility.

My query is whether I should consider a Mandatory Reconsideration to try and achieve enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility needs as I am so close to the enhanced threshold? Whilst I largely agree with the assessor's report, there are areas that I wouldn't be able to agree with and that could potentially constitute more points.

I received the report two days after requesting it from DWP and sent in a letter asking for consideration of enhanced with points that I don't agree with in the report - however - the award has stood at 11/10 points (though I'm not sure if the letter was read/considered).

My understanding with MRs is that there is a not so minimal chance of the award being taken away and the entire decision is reviewed, not just the disputed elements. Is anyone also able to shed light on whether if an award is taken away, if DWP take back the money too, please?

I would be very grateful if someone may be able to advise on the risk of an MR and any potential likelihood of points being increased to enhanced at this stage, please?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 22 hours ago #294808 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP 1/2 points away from enhanced
Hi proj1

I can't tell you whether you should apply for a Mandatory Reconsideration—that's a decision you will have to make for yourself. If you think you have the evidence to dispute the assessor's judgment, then you might want to apply for one.

Do have a look at Guide to PIP Appeals (which has the MR information in it) and also look at the Guide on how to challenge a Medical Report.

It is true that they will look at all parts of the report. I have only ever known two cases of people being downgraded at the MR stage. The majority of MR's are rejected (70%), and the claimant's award remains the same. So is it worth challenging using an MR? The people who win - would say 'Yes". Even those that lose - many of them go on to win at appeal.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid