× Members

PIP and Aids

More
1 week 3 days ago #294717 by Gladioli
PIP and Aids was created by Gladioli
Should the Health Professional carrying out a PIP assessment state in their report which aids someone should/could use? I have helped someone to claim PIP who was awarded points for needing an aid to cook and to dress. She has a lot of weakness in her arms and hands which the Health Professional acknowledged. She also is exhausted most of the time also acknowledged by the assessor. Her family feel that she is unsafe to cook and help her to dress as this is so difficult for her. Should she have preempted the Health Professional by looking at aids herself and explaining why these wouldn't be effective? It seems unfair that she has been told she can use aids but not what these aids would be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 23 hours ago #294802 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP and Aids
Hi Gladioli

I don't think there's a consistent approach to this. Some assessors comment on aids because the claimant may have mentioned them, and some make unsolicited comments. Some ignore commenting on aids altogether.

Claimants who are experienced in the PIP process know there is a good chance an assessor will ask people with physical disabilities whether they use any aids or may have helped. Some people will be prepared for that, and others won't be. I don't think anyone should preempt that question and try things or research aids to satisfy a PIP assessor.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid