× Members

IS,PIP and CA migration to UC

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #294308 by tony horse
IS,PIP and CA migration to UC was created by tony horse
Hi,
I have received a UC migration letter. The present situation i am in is both me and my wife(both under 65)are on PIP and claim CA for each other and receive IS. Because you cannot claim ESA and CA we have never applied for ESA.Whilst completing the online form for UC it is asking for fit notes from the doctor or 'tell us your health condition does not effect your ability to work'. Can they force us both to come off CA to claim ESA and will any of it effect migration transtional payments from IS to UC?
Bit unsure what is going to happen and have become worried as we both dont want to have to go through a ESA assessment.
I have rung the universal credit helpline and they just said fill the migration form in and it should be OK but I wasn't very reassured and they didnt seem able to quote any policy they have on the situation,
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #294311 by David
Replied by David on topic IS,PIP and CA migration to UC
Hi tony horse,
Let me start by saying that the reasons for your worries are unfounded. No one is going to force you to come off CA. As you and your wife both receive CA then you will be both be placed in the UC No Work Related Requirments conditionality group. In that group you don’t have to do anything to prepare or look for work. You will both receive the UC Carers Element.
You have been invited to present a Fit Note for your new UC claim but you don't have to if you prefer ,as not doing so will not change your conditionality group.
However if you or you wife choose to present Fit Notes then you will take part in what UC describe as the Health Journey. This should lead to a medical examination ( maybe face to face or by phone ). The DWP Health Professional may consider that you are entitled to the LCWRA element. This is the only main health related element which generates an extra UC payment.
Does you migration letter advise you to phone Citizens Advice Help to Claim? Even if it doesn't I would advise you to phone them as they will supervise the UC Migration until the first UC payment.

(I cannot comment on why in the past you did not claim ESA and CA. It is possible to claim them both together though they are overlapping Benefits.)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #294472 by tony horse
Replied by tony horse on topic IS,PIP and CA migration to UC
Thanks David appreciate the advice, will look into giving citizens advice help to claim a call. My wife has no passport or driving license so they have made an appt for her to go to Job centre but she wont go due to the stress and mobility issues connected with it (no nearby parking) they have said they will make a home visit instead and still awaiting and appt time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #294513 by tony horse
Being messed about by UC. They haven't provided an appt for a home visit so rang up the Migration notice helpline and they said (after consulting a supervisor) that my wife needed to confirm her identity by friday 13/9/24 , which shocked me as I was previously told we had up to 3rd October to confirm her identity and that she had already made a transition over to UC so didnt need to worry about transitional payments. One person from the helpline also said my wife can upload docuements online to them but there is no facilty at this point to do that, another person from the helpline has since said. there is no facility to do that. I have had a variety of contradicting statements from them off various phone calls and not sure if its general incompetance or a bit of a trap to stop me getting the transitional element of UC.
We have completed all their forms and are just waiting to do my wifes ID check, are they within their rights by law to stop any transitional payments (and just give the basic UC ) if we dont complete the ID by the end of the migration date 13/9/24 and if they do stick to that can they be forced to go back to telephone dialogue that has taken place to show evidence of what has happened?

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #294515 by David
Replied by David on topic IS,PIP and CA migration to UC
Hi tony horse,

Were you given as per usual the Citizens Advice Help to Claim phone no in your Migration Letter? Is there a reason why you would not want to get Citizens Advice involved?
Otherwise could you phone the UC Migration helpline and request that they carry out what is know as a Biographical ID check for your wife. The only downside with that is they may ask her to attend a Jobcentre ( though it can also be done over the phone )
This is the information provided by the government about the Biographical ID check.
"Claimants who are unable to provide documentary evidence can undergo a biographical test. Biographical questions are generated onto a BIO template(opens in a new tab) using information held on the Customer Information System (Searchlight). This can be done by telephone or in person at a Jobcentre, and it does not cause any delay as it can be done within the first Assessment Period."

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #294584 by tony horse
Phoned CAB and the gentleman was very helpfull and understood where I was coming from we than had a 3 way phone conversation with someone from UC but the gentleman from UC was unable to clarify if I still had transistional protection even if ID provide after 13/9/24. The phone call took 2 hours from start to finish.
My wife just decide to turn up at the Job Centre today with her ID ,unannouced. They were very good and she didn't have to wait too long and they accepted her ID. So the application is now complete.
Thanks David for the advice you have given me on this matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid