× Members

Pip backdate

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294131 by madmanx
Pip backdate was created by madmanx
Hi I'm on universal credit, today I received a message in my journal saying they are doing a review of my claim to check my payments are correct.
I have read that they may want to see my bank statements, thing is I received a pip backdate for 6500 in April. I haven't spent it yet so I have 10000 in my bank account, but I have been told that the dwp disregards the backdate for a year.

I'm worried they will say I'm over my saving limit when technically If u take off the 6500 then my savings are 3500.

Really worried about this, don't know what to do, any advice about this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294138 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pip backdate
Hi madmanx

When you have a review, it is not to check your bank statements, the review is to check that you still qualify for UC, are you in the LCW/LCWRA group? if you are then you may soon receive a review form.

As to your savings, just show them the letter you received from DWP about your backdate payment from PIP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #294347 by madmanx
Replied by madmanx on topic Pip backdate
Hi universal credit review team asked for my last 4 bank statements and photo I'd which I uploaded, I have a telephone interview tommorow, not sure what is going on, I asked what it was all about and was told ot was to check I'm receiving the right amount of benefits?

Now as stated before I had a pip backpayment of 6500 in April, could it to due with this? I was told that it is disregarded as savings for one year? Is that still correct? What if they say they had never heard of this? Is there a document somewhere or proof I can make them aware of that says it, when i rang the uc line the advisor said they don't know about it that says it's disregarded for a year

Very worried about this dont know what is going on, any advice be. nice.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #294348 by madmanx
Replied by madmanx on topic Pip backdate
Hi can I add to my post i sent today that i forgot to say my account balance is 9000 now but as stated 6500 of it is my pip backdate which I haven't spent yet,I think it may be due to that?

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #294447 by Gary
Hi madmanx

You are correct a backdate payment is not counted as savings for one year and will not affect your income related or means tested benefits during this time, such as UC.

However, where benefits have been underpaid because of:

* an official error
* an error on point of law

Any payments over £5,000 can be disregarded for the length of the claim or until the award ends.

I know many claimants who receive a large backdate set up funeral plans. You can do what ever with your savings as you please, but remember DWP could treat your spending as Notional Capital.

Deprivation of capital is when you knowingly reduce or transfer elsewhere your savings or other capital to get, or increase your award of Universal Credit, so keep receipts of anything you spend your savings on.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #294449 by Gary
Hi madmanx

Ignore the first £6.5k for one year, after which for every bundle or part bundle of £250 you loose £1 in tariff income.

See Disability Rights Handbook edition 49 page 114, paragraph 25.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid