× Members

moving into sheltered housing

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293818 by diceman24
moving into sheltered housing was created by diceman24
hello to all , i live with my mum who is 78, mum claims housing benefit and council tax reduction of which im a non dependant on claim. im on univeral credit with lcwra element and dla both high rates. ive been offered a bedsit in sheltered housing which has disabled friendly and its within same borough. the question is if i take the bedsit would i have to start a new claim for HB and CT reduction for myself also after rent amount there is a service charge plus communal heating plus individual heating plus alarm plus water charge plus service mangers charge which equals another £100 a week on top of rent please could you advise me if housing benefit covers these charges thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293832 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic moving into sheltered housing
Hi diceman,

Having worked in local government myself in the past - Council Tax Reduction is normally based on the claimant and the property they reside at - so I'd say yes in relation to having to start a new claim. Housing Benefit - I believe is now paid by UC - well mine is, but I'm not sure if it's local authority dependant, so I'd check with them.

It may be worth you checking with Turn2Us - www.turn2us.org.uk/

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: diceman24

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293841 by Mr B
Replied by Mr B on topic moving into sheltered housing
Hi diceman24

Chris is quite right that you may want to seek advice at the link he provided. You might also want to seek advice from the landlord of the bedsit you have been offered as they may have someone working for them that helps tenants with benefit issues etc. I am a council tenant living in a sheltered housing scheme and they certainly have staff that help with issues like this. I'm not however on Universal Credit as I remain on "legacy" benefits. I currently receive housing benefit and council tax reduction from the council itself. I cannot be sure as I'm not in the same position as you but as you're currently on UC then I wouldn't have thought that you would be able to claim HB and would probably have to claim for your housing costs via UC instead. I'm not quite sure about Council Tax Reduction, that is whether you would claim this directly from the Council or through UC. As a council tenant on legacy benefits claiming HB and CTR from the council and living in a sheltered housing scheme Housing Benefit does not pay for all service charges, that is individual heating and electricity for my flat and the water charge for my flat are not covered by HB as they are not considered housing costs. Communal heating and scheme managers charge are however covered by HB. As I've said though I'm not on UC and I don't know how all this is dealt with under UC. These things are not straightforward and this is why I think you would benefit from getting expert help as suggested by Chris and me, ideally your new landlord will have someone who can help with this, if so and you decide to take the bedsit then you can ask them about all this before you move in. You will also of course have to notify UC of your change of circumstances and your mother will also need to tell HB/CTR that you have moved out.

I hope this helps and also that if you take the bedsit you will be very happy in your new home.

Kind regards

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: diceman24

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293847 by David
Replied by David on topic moving into sheltered housing
You start my updating your UC account to claim Housing Costs. You will get a Housing To Do on your account and the question " Where do you live now "? and you would choose " I'm in supported or sheltered accommodation ". This completes the Housing To Do and UC should pass the housing costs to the Local Authority.

Normally the Housing Costs for sheltered/supported accommodation are not paid by UC but by the Local Authority through the old legacy Housing Benefit system. But its important to check down the line with the Council as sometimes the Local Authority say that the amount of " support " is not enough for their rules.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid