× Members

PIP Special rules terminal illness existing claim

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293782 by organic
Hello,

I need some advice about claiming PIP under the special rules for terminal illness. It is an existing claim. I have Stage 4 advanced cancer. My consultant told me I have 12 months to live if left untreated. I am due to start immunotherapy treatment. There is no guarantee this treatment will work.

I called the cancer nurse to ask her to complete an SR1 form. I was told they are unable to complete the SR1 form, as they hope I will live longer than 12 months. They said if I dont respond to treatment in three months time and scans confirm this, then they will complete the SR1 form. But by then I may only have 9 months to live.

Do I qualify for PIP under the special rules for terminal illness? It is my understanding I do.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293793 by BIS
Hi organic

I'm afraid you'll only be awarded it if the people responsible for your care complete the form. You say that your consultant has said you have 12 months to live "if left untreated." As you are due to start the immunotherapy, and they hope it works - the nurse has given the reason why they can't currently complete the form. It's a clinical judgement. You can try and argue - but the DWP go with what the clinicians say. I truly hope they are right and you see an improvement in your condition.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, denby, organic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid