× Members

Attendance allowance - online application

More
2 months 6 days ago #293568 by mel0308
Hi everyone, I’ve tried searching the forum but there aren’t many posts about claiming Attendance Allowance.

We have just applied online for AA for my husband who is in his 70s. We couldn’t cope with doing it by post (please don’t judge me!) with the huge form and all it entails. I already receive PIP myself at the higher rate for both elements. It’s also quite urgent as my husband’s heart failure is now ‘severe’ after another heart attack along with all his other medical conditions. I was very surprised about the difference in the format compared to the written form. It didn’t even ask about his medications, and there was nowhere to upload any medical evidence. It was all tick boxes with nowhere for any explanations or further information.

I was wondering if anyone else has applied online and knows what the process is after doing the online application? Will they request more information from him, or write to the GP? Is an assessment ‘automatic’ or will it depend on his medical evidence? I’m worrying myself silly now so any information about the online process would help me know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #293578 by BIS
Hi mel0308

I hope that someone will be able to respond to your question about AA online applications and tell you of their experience.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mel0308

More
2 months 6 days ago #293587 by PilotParent
Replied by PilotParent on topic Attendance allowance - online application
Hi,

I recently helped my mum to apply for attendance allowance as she wasn't sure and was convinced she wouldn't get it. I had shown her the guides on here etc but she still wasn't sure. I too was amazed by the difference between the paper form and the online application. Online it seemed too basic and almost too easy. We needn't have worried though as although she only got a confirmation of the application and not much else in the way of communication, she got an initial payment into her bank for it within a week of completing her application.

Hope it will be as speedy and straightforward for you and your husband x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, Gary, mel0308

More
2 months 6 days ago #293589 by Gary
Hi PilotParent

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Congratulations on your award or should I say on helping your mum get an Attendance Allowance award.

Now your mum has been awarded AA, check that she may also be eligible to claim Pension Credit Guarantee ; www.gov.uk/pension-credit, depending on her circumstances.

This is quite often over looked, it is also a qualifying benefit for other benefits and a free TV licence for claimants over 75.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, PilotParent

More
2 months 6 days ago #293592 by mel0308
Replied by mel0308 on topic Attendance allowance - online application
Thanks for the information and congratulations on getting the award for your mum so quickly. I think applying online is still quite new and they only allow so many per week, so I will post more about the experience later on. Fingers crossed in the meantime!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, Gary, PilotParent

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid