× Members

A good lesson learned

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293352 by Donna2512
A good lesson learned was created by Donna2512
Not DWP but HMRC but premise remains the same.
I became aware after reading on a support board elsewhere that HMRC were likely overpaying me child tax credits. Couldn't get through on the phone so contacted them through Government Gateway asking them to look again as I didn't want to be responsible for an overpayment. Payments continued so assumed that the board was wrong and felt reassured that HMRC had investigated and I wasn't overpaid.
Eight months later at the start of the new school year I knew for a fact I was being paid wrongly I contacted them again. Payments stopped but heard nothing for 9 months when I got a bill for £25k as they decided on a whim d wasnt in school post 16 despite me filling in required forms yearly for Child Benefit. No details how to challenge this just details how to pay.
Spent a week on the phone, for hours at a time trying to contact HMRC. Eventually got through to someone who told me I would need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration but you only get 28 days from date of letter that arrived 7 days after that date.
Wrote the MR, gathered evidence of school attendance, my contact with them, my further contact and lack of response.
Heard nothing again, got various bills for different amounts and contact from a debt collection agency for the £25k instead.
Four months later another bill for £8k and then finally a response to the MR. They accepted that d had been in school post 16 and whilst I had been overpaid for 9 months from my first to second contact with them because they hadn't met their customer care charter they were writing it off and I owed nothing.
If you take anything from this it is that when dealing with government departments make sure you know what they should be doing. If you think they are wrong challenge it in writing so that you have a record (send recorded delivery) Keep a record of any contact you have. Don't delay even if you are worried sick and would rather stick your head in the sand and find out how to challenge decisions and challenge them with whatever evidence you hold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesley, Robbie, denby, Wendy Woo, Anji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293357 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic A good lesson learned
Hi Donna2512,
Thanks. Very sound advice. Keep records and copies of everything. And, most importantly don't assume DWP or other department is right. Check and double check. Challenge if need be. And keep at it, don't be fobbed off!
Well done Donna.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie, denby, Donna2512

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293359 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic A good lesson learned
Oh my goodness, Donna that sounds a horrific tale. I'm so pleased you got it sorted out eventually but that must have been so stressful for you. Thank goodness you had called and queried it!!

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donna2512

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293362 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic A good lesson learned
Many years ago when I was on "sickness benefit" and I had to send in "sick notes" from the doctor. This was after my second husband died. My two children were small. Days of yore - before computers and smart phones. I was waiting for my giro and it never came. I think I telephoned them and they said that I did no exist. I was in state of panic. Actually started to feel invisible. All sorts of things went through my head because the sick note was linked to housing benefit and any other payments that I was entitled to.
I went to the local C.A.B. office and they were so helpful.
It turned out that someone at the D.W.P. had stuck my sick note in a drawer and forgotten it!!! Well that's what I was told.
Got it all sorted in the end, so I can imagine your dilemma! Well done for having the energy for persuing it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Donna2512, Gary

More
2 months 1 week ago #293387 by Donna2512
Replied by Donna2512 on topic A good lesson learned
I worked at the Benefits Office (now DWP) back then and would say that it was most likely stuffed in a drawer and forgotten. There were so many pieces of paper flying about it's a wonder more weren't lost or not paid tbh. I didn't particularly enjoy it, people having a difficult time hurt my heart. I would be useless now they impose sanctions I just couldn't do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesley, denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid