× Members

Can existing housing benefit force UC migration?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293301 by esmith
I've just discovered that I haven't been paid any housing benefit since the beginning of the year. I've lived here for 24 years and had HB all that time and the only change is my PIP has gone up recently to high care and mobility. I also get income-based esa support group. I've received nothing about migration to UC and last I heard I'd be one of the last groups to be forced to go. I'm hoping that it is a mistake that can be rectified but concerned that it might be viewed as a new claim which will mean being forced to UC.

Have I missed some news? Will existing HB claims not be honoured until the DWP dictate migration?

How people think a life on benefits is an easy ride I don't know. I'd give anything to go back to the work I loved and not live in constant fear of having my means of support whipped out from under my feet at any moment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293303 by Gary
Hi esmith

If you HB has been cancelled then you may have to apply for UC, but before you do so you need to find out why your claim has stopped. You will probably need the help of your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you appeal the decision, the problem you may have is, time limits.

If you have not been paid housing benefit since the beginning of the year, the question that will be asked is why has it taken you this long to do something about it?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid