× Members

Changing number of bedrooms on claim

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293256 by Maria K
Changing number of bedrooms on claim was created by Maria K
Hi all

I hope this is the right place to post this question, apologies if not.

Myself and my partner have a joint UC claim, including housing benefit. We claim for 1 bedroom, and we rent from a private landlord. We also have a loft conversion that we mostly use to dry laundry, but it does have a bed frame & mattress which we use for anyone staying over. We've also got a tiny little office/craft room which could arguably be classed as a third bedroom.

Should we change our claim to include 2 or 3 bedrooms?

If we did, would we receive a higher housing benefit payment, or would our payment go down because of the bedroom tax?

How would we do it? Would we just need to report a change of circumstances, submit all the details of our current accommodation with our renter's agreement etc as before, except instead of reporting 1 bedroom we would report 2? Or 3?

Thanks
Josh (and Maria)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293259 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Changing number of bedrooms on claim
Hi Maria K

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Thank you for your question, it is outside the remit of the forum and the answer is not that straightforward.

You may want to seek advice from shelter, the simple answer to your question, it all depends what it states on your tenancy agreement, if your landlord states it's a bedroom then it is a bedroom no matter what shape or size it is. This has been subject to an appeal which the claimant, unfortunately lost. england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maria K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid