× Members

PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293187 by SpeckledFrog
PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself was created by SpeckledFrog
Hello,

I want to record my pip phone assessment myself and I want to tell them at the beginning of the call I am recording it (in the hopes they will be less likely to lie and omit things in the report).

Are they likely or I guess within their rights to refuse to progress the call any further, resulting in me waiting ages for another appointment? Or them saying I need to rebook into a recorded appointment slot? Is there a policy on this?

I want to record it myself, not have them record it. Yes, I have trust issues from my last experience with them!
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293204 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself
Hi SpeckledFrog

An assessor has the right to refuse to be recorded - so if you tell them - they may well choose to end the call. It is up to the assessor what they want to do.

We advise that people take covert recordings. Even when an assessor makes a recording, it is not guaranteed that they won't omit things from the report or write down something that was not said. If you're going to record it, you might as well do it covertly and let them record it and see if they match.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sia, UB40 Rumrunner

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293363 by CazzaLaRouge
Replied by CazzaLaRouge on topic PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself
I have been wondering about covert recordings too. I didn't do it in my last assessment in 2019 but I wish I did. He lied about stuff deliberately misinterpreted stuff...you know, the usual.

Anyway my question here is how do you ask for an officially recorded slot? Do you need to pre-book this or can you just ask at the appointment?

(For clarity, I currently don't have an assessment appointment, and when I get one I have no idea if they will see me in person, on the phone, or fingers crossed maybe they won't want to see me at all.)

The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293365 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself
Hi CazzaLaRouge

You can request for the assessment services to record it - and they may well tell you they don't have the services to do so. This comes down to the availability of recording facilities and available assessors. Not all assessor agree to be recording and they are not legally obliged to agree.

If you insist on a recording then they will probably tell you that you will have to wait until a face to face assessment can take place and no one knows when that will be. If they think they have sufficient evidence they might look into doing a paper-based assessment - but this is not given and it is unlikely to be done except on rare occasions as they won't want to open the floodgates of lots of claimants saying they want paper-based if they can't have a recording.

If you say that you are going to record the assessment yourself - the assessment won't take place because it would be too easy for claimants to tamper with the recordings. You will find if you try that this is something that is not open to discussion.

There is guidance on recordings in our guides when face to face assessments were carried out. We suggest that people make covert recordings for their own record and that can be done in any method available to you.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sia, UB40 Rumrunner

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293371 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself
Hi CazzaLaRouge
I've heard that they need a fortnight's notice for a recorded assessment eg a phone one. I phoned to request this the minute I got the appt text, was told they would have to defer which didn't surprise me and I was quite happy about as it suited me, and duly got it recorded and CDs by courier within very few days. The only odd thing is they wouldn't play in a cd player I borrowed but play in a dvd player.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293382 by ves
Replied by ves on topic PIP Assessment Recording Call Myself
As Gary states above, I did ask for them to record my phone assessment, but was told it's not always possible as it is down to the assessor having the correct equipment. I was told I could record it myself, so long as I made the recording available to them- prior to me possibly taking it to a review. I agreed that would be okay. But...
On the day of my phone call, I had my landline on speakerphone (and was about to start recording), but the assessor insisted I not use speakerphone as she was getting 'echoing'. To be honest, I think they are aware of the possibility of being recorded, so use 'echoing' as a reason to prevent it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid