× Members

Universal Credit and inheritance

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293185 by princess1
Universal Credit and inheritance was created by princess1
Hi all, my daughter is in receipt of Universal Credit and is due to inherit , along with her son, half the property I live in . I own the other half of the property with life rent. Would this inheritance affect her benefit? In essence, she’s not receiving any money as she cannot sell and I see this as a paperwork exercise. Could you please advise before it all goes through probate. and not cause too many problems for her. Thank you kindly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293233 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Universal Credit and inheritance
Hi princess1

Your question is outside the remit of the forum, we would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk they will be able to take all your daughters circumstances into consideration.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: princess1

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293267 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Universal Credit and inheritance
Please see a solicitor about possibly creating a trust for her. There's info on .gov.uk you can read if you want.

Best, Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

• UB40 Rumrunner
2 months 1 week ago #293390 by UB40 Rumrunner
Replied by UB40 Rumrunner on topic Universal Credit and inheritance
Basically, if someone inherited £100.000 then they'd have to spend £83.000 to be safe to still apply for benefits. Access to any Capital/savings threshold has to be below £16000, otherwise entitlement to any benefits would be zero.
Impor
tant Note:

The money spent would also have to be for what can be seen as essential, reasonable expenditure so as to not fall under deprivation of capital rules.

Lots of info across web on this but contact CAB or lawyer.

Benefits not currently means tested are:

Attendance Allowance
Bereavement Support Payment
Carer's Allowance
Disability Living Allowance
New style Employment and Support Allowance
Personal Independence Payment
State Pension

Lots of info across web on this but contact CAB or lawyer if your claiming or about to make any new application for any benefit if appropriate to your circumstance's.. Worth to double checking regardless.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid