× Members

New PIP decision letter received

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293167 by Anji
New PIP decision letter received was created by Anji
Yesterday I received the decision letter from the DWP for my son’s PIP award. This was changed by them from 0 points across the board to enhanced for daily living and standard for mobility after we lodged an appeal with the tribunal.

I have mixed feelings about the new letter and have come down a bit from the elation when they rang and said they’d overturned the decision.

On the one hand the best thing is that the award is for 5 years, which from what I hear is quite unusual at the moment. I’m so pleased we don’t face the prospect of going through all this again until the end of 2028!

On the other hand he has scraped into enhanced for daily living with 13 points. And this is way lower than he should have got. I’m actually really kicking myself that I didn’t go through each section with the lady who called and asked what she was awarding. I think she would have listened, even if it didn’t change her opinion. I knew she was marking him down on some sections from what she said but I was so happy he was getting the award I didn’t really think.

Anyway, who knows what PIP will look like in 5 years time 🤷🏻‍♀️ The whole system may have changed by then so I’m just sitting back and enjoying the fact that I have four and a half years before I have to face whatever we are facing at that point 😁

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud, denby, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Blueberry Owl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293169 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic New PIP decision letter received
Hi Anji,

I totally get where you're coming from - but me personally, I'd say that's a result, and why challenge a decision where an increase in points doesn't change the award. I'd just accept the enhanced. If you feel you wish to for the mobility, then feel free too, but like you mentioned about "where PIP is heading" - it's likely before long, there are going to be millions of us not receiving any money and stupid pointless vouchers, which won't help at all!

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, boris1, Anji

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293177 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic New PIP decision letter received
Congratulations Anji.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293182 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic New PIP decision letter received
Exactly, Chris. Yes, I have absolutely no intention at all in challenging the decision as we got what he needed!! And the five year award is very gratifying.

I suppose my initial elation at someone finally appearing to accept what we had said was tinged with a bit of disappointment that, actually, she had not fully grasped some of the difficulties. But, hey, there is no way I am going to complain! I feel so pleased that we got what he deserves.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without the support of everyone on here!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Wendy Woo

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293184 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic New PIP decision letter received
Hello Anji,

I understand how you're feeling because I felt the same when I got the new decision letter in response to my tribunal submission on behalf of my son. I was surprised because there were several inaccuracies in this letter too. However, since we had the award we felt he should be entitled to, there seemed no point in complaining, especially as it was quite a long award (until 2029) - although I'm aware that with the changes proposed, it may not run that long. I agree with Chris - you should give yourself a big pat on the back, regard it as a victory, and enjoy it while you can. We've both got several years to prepare for the next time! (If there is one.) Although, like you, I believe my son should have received more points that he did, I think I've read on the forum before - Chris or someone else may be able to confirm this - that they stop looking at the descriptors to add any extra points for daily living once they've found as many as they need for an enhanced award.

Best wishes to you and your son,

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293205 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic New PIP decision letter received
Hi Anji

I can understand why it's disappointing to get the points he was awarded and not the ones he hoped for - but as you said who knows what will happen by 2028. I know you're not going to challenge the points awarded, but if you can bear it, I would sit down while it's fresh in your mind and write down why you think they were wrong for each question you disagree with and what he should have been awarded. Then put that away and keep it safe with all the other stuff. It may help you write your answers next time there is a review. And as I advised someone else - keep a diary of your son's difficulties. You can't remember everything, and you will have many examples of when you have had to support him - which will mean you have up-to-date information. You don't have to do this daily, but four years from now, there will be enough stress without recalling some of the best examples you have to explain his difficulties.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid