× Members

How sympathetic will DWP be?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293162 by Kevsue19
How sympathetic will DWP be? was created by Kevsue19
I sent off my review in December last year and have only had a couple of texts. I am in the middle of neurology tests, which will probably indicate I now have neuropathy in my feet (I have type 1 diabetes) which will back up the safety concerns I mentioned on my review form. I was going to send the evidence relating to this to go with my review paperwork.
As you may have already seen, my carer, my husband died of a massive heart attack last week. He had some a statement for me and when I did my diary pages, it fully covered what he did for me. I am trying to pick up the pieces and have had a telephone review with adult services ,who then provided me with new aids for the kitchen to help me open things and had an additional rail put in our bath/shower to help me feel more secure, so lots of new evidence relating to the care I need too.
My question is are they likely to pull my diary pages and my late husbands statement apart during the actual review? Will they be sneaky and try to catch me out by saying “your husbands no longer with you so you must be able to do things for yourself?
I am dreading a phone or face to face assessment because the minute they start quizzing me on who does what for me now I will just be a blubbering wreck. Do you think, if the assessment dates come through in the next few months, could I ask for a paper review instead?
Sorry to babble but I am currently in pieces as my husband was so good at helping me - it’s now he has gone I realise how much I depended on him 😔

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293199 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic How sympathetic will DWP be?
Hi Evelyn

How sympathetic will the DWP be? I wish I knew. When you receive your review form, I would certainly put in a request for a paper-based assessment, saying that you are not able to represent yourself with the change in your circumstances. Your husband's sudden and unexpected death is a shocking and traumatic event, and I'm sure you will be tempted to hold your head up high and not go into too much detail but don't hold back. I'm not suggesting you should write very much -- but don't underplay what has happened when making your request - highlighting the sudden trauma, being left bereft and being left without your carer. The term you should use is "overwhelming psychological distress." If you have an adult child, a close friend or a relative who can also add a letter backing up your request - get them to write it. If you have a sympathetic GP or any other medical professional who can back you up with a letter when the form comes - get them to do so.

And you are not babbling at all. I admire the strength and fortitude you are showing at such a devastating time. Keep coming back and ask the questions you need answering, and we will try to help.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sia, Kevsue19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid