× Members

help to fill in the PIP changes form

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293126 by SilviaN
help to fill in the PIP changes form was created by SilviaN
Hello,

I recently reported that my multiple sclerosis is deteriorating, particularly in terms of mobility, and I was sent a form to fill out. In response to the questions about daily living, I indicated that there have been no changes by simply writing "NO CHANGE." However, I want to ensure that they are aware of the extent of my mobility issues. I am currently unable to walk more than 20 meters without difficulties or assistance. Previously, I could manage 20-50 meters. At home, I rely on a stick when I'm on my own, and when I go outside, I need my carer with me at all times.

In the form, I specified that in December 2023, I had a relapse that led to temporary paralysis. Subsequently, I experience daily walking difficulties such as spasticity in my right quad and calf, as well as a right foot drop. As a result, I need to hoist my leg from the hip and swing through when I walk due to the lack of flexibility in my knees. In addition to this, I am dealing with coordination issues and frequently trip over my other leg. Due to these challenges, I am unable to walk outside on my own, which is why I always have my carer accompany me wherever I go.
I need advice on whether the answers are suitable for them. I will include a medication report for Baclofen 10mg to help with spasticity and a letter from my physio stating that I experience walking difficulties and balance issues.
Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293132 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic help to fill in the PIP changes form
Hi SilviaN

If you report a change in circumstances this often requires a new form to be filled out and a fresh assessment, may also be required.

Unfortunately it can never be guaranteed that DWP will not remove points; this seems to happen regularly. However, that is not always the case, so you shouldn't be put off.

Before you contact DWP make sure that your new conditions really will lead to more points. It is always worthwhile double checking against the descriptors (you can use the Members Guides). Remember that you can argue for the highest value score when more than one descriptor in a set applies equally. If two or more apply unequally, then the most prevalent one will apply and should be scored. However, you won't score any extra points if another same value descriptor in the set new applies.

Remember also to consider what happens for the majority of days, and 'reliability ' ie safety, reasonable time, repetition and acceptable standard.

Before you contact DWP, get ready with GP/ hospital reports etc and start thinking about how you can explain your additional problems and what other evidence you might need. Get everything together now, and this will mean you can fill out all the forms etc really quickly and then hopefully get a speedier review.

If you feel you do not have enough time to complete this form you should be able to arrange an extension by calling the DWP and explain that you need a bit extra time.

I hope all goes smoothly for you, try and fill in the form over a few days and take plenty of breaks, from previous experience I know this can be very stressful attempting filling the form all in one go, use our guide to help you complete the form; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293133 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic help to fill in the PIP changes form
You local MS Society is very likely to have someone who helps with PIP forms so might be worth asking them?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293140 by SilviaN
Replied by SilviaN on topic help to fill in the PIP changes form
I've already been in touch with the DWP, and they've sent me the form to update my information. If there have been no changes, am I okay to simply indicate "no change"? Because The only change occurred in my mobility.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293191 by SilviaN
Replied by SilviaN on topic help to fill in the PIP changes form
Local one was permanently closed and the other one is 30miles away. I was expecting help here for the subscribers

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293200 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic help to fill in the PIP changes form
Hi SilviaN

We don't advise that you just write "No Change" on your form, though we know that for some people, it is impossible to do anything else.

You said in your post that you want the DWP to understand how your mobility has worsened, so you will need to explain more - just as you have done here. Is your carer able to help in any way?

Do have a look at the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip. You will find the review information on pages 128 - 134. There are some sample answers that you may be able to adjust for your case.

We don't actually help people complete their forms, but if you have any other questions, come back and ask, and we will try to help.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid