× Members

Old style ESA and OU student tuition loan

More
3 months 5 hours ago #292879 by Lol
Hi I am on the old style ESA and receive PIP

I am planning on doing an Open University course.

Will applying for a Student tuition loan impact my benefits?

Do I need to inform DWP?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #292883 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Old style ESA and OU student tuition loan
Hi Lol,

You may get your answer from a previous thread (see below).

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-e...-esa-student-finance

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lol

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #292898 by pollenpath
Replied by pollenpath on topic Old style ESA and OU student tuition loan
Hi Lol,

I can only tell you my experience, and I have no idea if it's technically 'permitted' but it's what I did.

During the first lockdowns I started a 2 year part time foundation degree with the OU. It was perfect because I could do the whole qualification from the comfort of my bed! I'm on ESA (IR) in the support group, and standard rate PIP. I only applied for the fees loan, which was a straightforward process once I had been offered a place on the course. Once my fees had been sorted I was also eligible for Disabled Student Allowance (think that's the name, you apply through the OU) but as I had all the equipment I needed for studying I didn't apply for that extra support.

I did one year of the course (= 1 module) then took a year out because it took a lot for me to get through that first module. Then I did the 2nd (final) year and got my foundation degree at the end of it.

The fees are paid directly to the OU. I had no contact with the DWP over the course of the qualification other than renewal forms and telephone assessments, and made it clear each time that I was studying very part time from home. Nobody questioned that.

Realistically the degree, although vocational, may never be useful to me in terms of working because my health is unlikely to improve. But since the government started talking about changing our benefits out of all recognition, I get a crumb of comfort from fantasising that I might (at a massive push) have a tiny chance of surviving if it came to it. On the other hand, the experience of doing the course itself was very rewarding and got me through those awful periods of social isolation. Don't underestimate how rigorous it will be though. Took a lot to keep going. Having said that, if you communicate with your tutor and they know about your disability/disabilities (the OU asks you to fill out a profile before you start) they will give you extensions on essays and the like that don't affect your grades.

Best of luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Lol

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid