× Members

health anxiety

More
3 months 3 days ago #292796 by Nicole777
health anxiety was created by Nicole777
Hi there. I would like to know, I suffer with severe anxiety, but due to health anxiety, I just can not get myself to use medication, I also have repetitive strain disorder and are prescribed omeprazole, co code mol and naproxen, however, I struggle to use this medication due to above mentioned. I will take the omeprazole and be anxious as I am scared something will happen, and then I am scared again taking the naproxen and co code mol, so it is pain/ anxiety mixed. However, I know I will be sacred down as they will argue the pain in not severe enough or the general anxiety is not severe enough, however, I have extreme health anxiety, how would I address this??
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 days ago #292804 by denby
Replied by denby on topic health anxiety
Hi Nicole, and other than suggesting tell it as you have here, and keep a diary [templates available on here or just make your own], I don't have a special answer.
Just wanted to send fellow feeling, as I was given naproxen and omeprazole for months for my arthritic knee pain. I don't have the kind of health anxiety you do, but despite being scrupulously careful taking these meds, with food etc etc, my stomach was messed up and therefore the GP stopped them. An NHs professional recommended Voltarol and told me to ask my GP to prescribe it. The GP refused and now I have the PIP assessor rubbishing the pain I suffer every time I get off the chair, 'because I do not have prescription pain medication" ! My attitude is to live with the pain as long as I can tolerate it, as my condition will get worse and I want to have pain relief in reserve. And avoid more nasty side effects as long as possible. But apparently my life choice is not valid in their eyes.
So I hope a diary and full explanation will carry weight for you. Proof of your health anxiety would probably be good too.
Best,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
3 months 2 days ago #292806 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic health anxiety
Hi Nicole777

I can't pretend that there isn't a possibility that an assessor will take a negative view, but they're not supposed to. There are plenty of people like yourself who don't take medication for health-related reasons, and that's what you need to focus on. Just because you are unable to take medication - it doesn't mean you don't need it. You have been prescribed it - and they wouldn't prescribe it unless they thought it was necessary. Make sure that you also emphasise the added difficulties you have because you are not able to get any of the relief that the medication might bring.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, KABTT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid