× Members

Universal credit HELP HELP PLEASE

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291246 by Charliem
Universal credit HELP HELP PLEASE was created by Charliem
Hi just asking for a friend
What it is my friend pip payments had accumilated in her bank account over the past couple of years because of being housebound due to agrophobia and progessive m.s,and had no help untill feb 2023 where as she now has carers which she pays for,she had been in council bungalow and because she was/is unable to work her rent got paid and got u/c payments.In feb 2024 she had moved into assisted living and had to fill in housing benefit online form as u/c dont pay for assisted living,anyway when she contacted housing benefit to find out how long is it going to take for housing benefit to get sorted,my friend is getting really depressed because when she sent the required imformation in february the lady from the housing benefit asked my friend did she tell universal credit that she had (not now as had to pay for removal and furniture etc)had savings in her bank as they paid her rent.Anyway over the past few years her pip had accummilated,so my friend said she never contacted u/c because she said when she was housebound and had no carers at that time she said she didnt know if you have not been able to use the pip payments that had been accumilated in her bank she did not know that this was counted as savings when speaking to the HB team last friday 10th of may,she is very worried about this and thinks that she will get punished for not letting u/c know about the amount of money she had in the bank,she is going to contact u/c this comming week,she said she will pay back all monies what will be owed to u/c but would pay it back in installments if she is allowed to do that,she is very worried she not sleeping properly
Please bare with me how i have worded all this message.thanku all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291267 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Universal credit HELP HELP PLEASE
Cm

Your friend needs to get face to face advice. See

advicelocal.uk/

There will be deductions from their UC for every £250 that exceeds the £6000 limit. If their assets and savings have gone over £16,000 then they lose entitlement to UC and housing benefit they receive.

All overpayments for UC and housing benefits are recoverable although hardship can very, very rarely be taken into account.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid