× Members

ESA/UC

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291190 by A-nobody
ESA/UC was created by A-nobody
Hello, I am currently on ESA (income related) and in the Support Group . Have been for years .At my last assessment I passed easily after a home based interview and received a letter that said that they would no longer ask me to attend or take part in medical assessments as long as my health condition remained the same and did not improve.I still have that letter.
When i am migrated to Universal Credit how will i make this known to DWP and will it still stand?
I am VERY worried.
Thanks in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291207 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/UC
A-N

As far as I am aware the "no longer need to be assessed" is unique to ESA so I cannot promise that it will be honoured under UC, however, this was a policy decision by the DWP, it is not defined in legislation so it would only require an update to the UC guidance to implement it in UC.

You will not be required to undertake a new assessment as part of the move to UC, your existing award will be transferred as part of the migration. It is possible that the notes associated with your current claim will also be moved and these may provide the UC team with the information needed to prevent future reviews.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Charlie, A-nobody

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291250 by sophiegrey@blueyonder.co.
Replied by sophiegrey@blueyonder.co. on topic ESA/UC
I am being forced to migrate from contribution based ESA to UC despite being in the support group, and am having an awful time understanding why I have been told to attend a mandatory meeting with a work coach less than a week after applying. I thought my decision would migrate over but it hasn't. person on the helpline didn't have a clue about it, she said the appointments are mandatory . I am so distressed by this it has made me feel so scared and unwell. I rand the DWP migration line and they said I shouldn't have to attend meetings and my ESA decision should be just transferred but they transferred my call to UC helpline who didn't understand this - so I don't know what to do !

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291257 by Gordon
sG

There must be some other reason that you are being migrated to UC because ESA(CB) is not a candidate benefit for migration.

Your ESA award will be moved without reassessment but this is a manual process which can go out of step with the UC migration.

The meeting may have to do with the UC Claimant Commitment which all claimants must accept, even those in the Support Group, in order to complete the migration and to receive payment.

It is worth you checking what the meeting is as you may be excused due to your current award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sophiegrey@blueyonder.co., KABTT , Charlie

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291279 by sophiegrey@blueyonder.co.
Replied by sophiegrey@blueyonder.co. on topic ESA/UC
Thank you for your informed reply Gordon. I think it may be due to my having been awarded child tax credit which I believe is being discontinued , but this is all so distressing that I am considering cancelling my UC application so that I don't loose my ESA - It doesn't help that the DWP helpline tell me one thing and the UC helpline contradicts this advise and the UC helpline staff I spoke to had no idea of the ESA claimant's in the support group, just repeated I had to meet with the work coach.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291281 by Gordon
s G

As I said your ESA is not being migrated to UC and will remain in payment whatever happens.

Please do not abandon your UC claim until you understand what you might, at worst you should receive the same and you may receive more, for example; the "SG" rate in UC is higher than what you currently receive.

The transfer of your ESA award (not the actual benefit) to UC is unfortunately a manual one and can easily get out of step with the migration.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: sophiegrey@blueyonder.co., KABTT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid