× Members

DWP waiting time?

More
7 months 1 week ago #287931 by rachel1
DWP waiting time? was created by rachel1
I have been claiming Income related and Contribution based ESA for over 15 years. At the beginning of December I received a n inheritance that put me over the savings limit for income based ESA. I wrote to the DWP to tell them on the day I received the money. I asked to remain on contribution based ESA but cancelled my income based. I heard nothing for the next month, so wrote again at the beginning of January. I have still heard nothing, and am still receiving the same amount of ESA. I don't know if this is a normal amount of time or if something has gone wrong. I cannot use the phone and I am now panicking that they will say I am fraudulently claiming. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #287953 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DWP waiting time?
Hi Rachel1

If you have proof of writing to them, you have nothing to worry about. I can't tell you how long you may have to wait - but I would send them another letter in March if you have heard nothing.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293003 by rachel1
Replied by rachel1 on topic DWP waiting time?
This is still ongoing. I wrote again in January, in March, and again last week (this time to my local job centre). I'm still receiving the same amount of ESA and have had no acknowledgement of my letters. I'm really worried now. Is this delay normal? I've never experienced such a delay for a change of circumstances.
thank you

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293013 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic DWP waiting time?
Hi Rachel,

I sent a letter in December 2023, and only just recieved a reply from DWP by telephone just over a week ago, with the gentleman on the phone telling me that they were incredibly busy.
I read an article also this morning, and it seems to have been published in many papers about an alarming 10 year wait for a response.

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/money/10-y...4000-people-29455922

Chris

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293014 by Gaddy
Replied by Gaddy on topic DWP waiting time?
Hi Rachell,

I totaly understand your frustration, I experienced similar a few years ago, sent letters and follow up telephone calls where the advisor could see they had my letter but didn't know why no action had been taken!
Eventually I sent another letter recorded delivery and then received a letter saying they had suspended my benefit and I needed to supply 2 years of bank statements with receipts for any purchases over £250. So they treated me the same as if I had not actually disclosed the inheritence I had received. I went to my local Mind benefits advice office who wrote to the DWP(and photocopied all those bank statements) so it was sorted in a couple of weeks. I was really angry and stressed about it at the time. They accepted it was their error however and did not attempt tob backdate the adjustment to my ESA.
You could try the recorded delivery option if you haven't already and see if that gets their attention,. I just hope they don't have the knee jerk reaction they applied to me and treat you as if you have not done the right thing. A record of dates you sent letters, copies even, and any phone calls with dates/times/names of the person you have spoken to is useful to back yourself up.
Good luck, hoping all goes smoothly for you eventually.

Gaddy

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid