× Members

PIP and work

More
8 months 16 minutes ago #287374 by Nelbabs
PIP and work was created by Nelbabs
Hi all,

I’ve been claiming PIP for just over a year now for Long Covid and I returned to work last July on an extremely slow phased return. I have managed to work my way up to around 12 hours per week, working from home, although this fluctuates week to week depending on my symptoms.

I haven’t yet informed DWP as the return to work has been extremely difficult and I have been unsure week to week whether I will be able to continue. However, I’m very much aware that I must report the change.

I am really worried as to what to expect as the initial assessment was so difficult for me (I took 3 months just to complete the form). I was hoping someone who has been through the experience could tell me what to expect: should I expect a full review again and what will they want to know? Nothing has changed regarding my mobility or my activities of daily living - they are all still very much impaired as they were at my initial assessment.

Many thanks in advance,

Helen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287393 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP and work
Hi Nelbabs

There's a good chance they will send you a review form, and you will have to go through the review process. Even though you might tell them nothing has changed when you report that you are working - that is a change.

You will have to be very, very clear about what has changed and what remains the same because there's a good chance that an assessor will assume that as you are now working (albeit with varied hours), your health has improved - and, therefore they might judge that you no longer meet the same criteria levels.

I'm not trying to frighten you, I just want you to be aware that the system tends to be a very blunt instrument, and it is hard to get them to understand a fluctuating condition such as Long Covid. So if they say they are going to review your case, have a look at the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews (from page 128) and make sure that you understand how to answer those questions and have a look at the Supplementary Guide to Long Covid.

I hope that you have a record of how many hours you have worked because I think they will say you should have informed them of the change before now and you will need to explain why you didn't.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287397 by Nelbabs
Replied by Nelbabs on topic PIP and work
Thank you, my fear is exactly that: that they may make assumptions that my health has improved to a level where I no longer meet their criteria whereas it has, in fact, declined as I struggle even more now with day to day tasks such as getting up, washing, dressing etc as I am in constant PEM, hence the uncertainty as to whether I can continue with work.
Yes I have a record of each increase in hours as well as each set back and subsequent reduction in hours so I will get in contact with them and see what happens.
Thank you again,

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287411 by boris1
Replied by boris1 on topic PIP and work
Pip is an in work benefit.
You can work and claim it as long as you meet the criteria and the descriptors apply to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taz8

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287414 by Gladioli
Replied by Gladioli on topic PIP and work
Are you planning to contact PIP to report that you are working? You don't have to do this as this is not a change that you have to report.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287425 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and work
N

Whilst there is no legal requirement for you to contact the DWP just because you have started working, there is if the reason you have been able to start work is due to an improvement in your limitations.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid