× Members

Reassessment for older people

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287338 by fredd
Reassessment for older people was created by fredd
I'm on DLA & ESA in the support group for mental health problems. I've never been reassessed. I was initially signed up for DLA & incapacity benefit by my social worker in 2006. Another form/booklet thing was filled out by the SW some years ago, I think to transfer me to ESA. Other than that they contacted me a few years back to insist I be given more money. Apparently it was widespread I'm not sure why. It was a government edict & to do with being transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA I think. They also gave me a big lump sum to cover back payments. I refused because I was so scared it was a mistake but they said I had to take it. I didn't touch the extra for six months just in case. Every year I am terrified that they will say I have to have a medical. I am now 55yrs old. Do you know if there is a policy (official or unofficial) of not bothering to reassess someone once they are in their late 50s or early sixties? I wonder do the concentrate their resources on the younger ones. thanks Freda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287350 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Reassessment for older people
Hi fredd

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

There is no policy of not bothering to reassess someone once they are in their late 50's or early sixties.

ESA is an indefinite award with scheduled reassessment based on the Prognosis Date completed by the assessor in their report, so your existing ESA award continues in payment until a new Decision is made.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 hour ago #287369 by boris1
Replied by boris1 on topic Reassessment for older people
I was reassessed out of the blue last year for esa wrag age 59 years old.
Luckily I was placed back in the support group.
I had been receiving esa for ten years before that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid