× Members

Awaiting diagnoses

More
8 months 1 week ago #286897 by Bobby33
Awaiting diagnoses was created by Bobby33
Hi people. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but here goes,

I'm awaiting to be formally diagnosed in the next couple of weeks but the general thoughts are ive got borderline personality disorder and or ADHD.

A friend of mine has said if I get a diagnoses that I could be entitled to financial help in the form of some sort of benefit.

Is this correct? If so what could I be eligible to claim and where from?

Tia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286908 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Awaiting diagnoses
Hi Bobby33,

Your most likely help will be Personal Independent Payment - known as PIP.
You're assessed on how things affect you on a daily basis.
Your best bet is to check the guides on here, (but remember to apply for it). It's a long winded process usually, but mostly does tend to be beneficial to the claimant when done correctly.

Regards, Chris

p.s. - If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to ask, and one of us will do our very best to assist you. :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #286909 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Awaiting diagnoses
Also, I forgot to say, you apply from the DWP. More details on link below.

Regards, Chris

www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobby33

More
8 months 1 week ago #286924 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Awaiting diagnoses
Hi Bobby33,
To add to what Chris has said...
Whilst the diagnosis may well be helpful for you, and is confirmation for DWP, it is not essential in order to claim.
PIP is awarded if your health condition/s prevent, or make the specified activities more difficult, or perhaps you need some sort of assistance.
However, receiving a diagnosis is not enough of itself to receive PIP.You would need to show that you health conditions cause you to struggle to perform one or more of the specified descriptor activities, (which you will find explained further in the guides as explained before.) You would need to score at least 8 points to get the standard rate or 12 points for enhanced rate.
If you wish to claim PIP, it might be helpful to write a diary for a couple of weeks. Think about the descriotor activities and what struggles you have, what happened, what help did you need/get and why. How long were you affected for, did any assistance provided actually help? May be you needed to take extra medication, maybe you still felt unwell the next day, or other PIP tasks were also affected etc etc.
Even if the problems caused by your health condition didn't relate to PIP activities, but there were other issues include these in the diary as this may also be helpful background information.
You can then use the diary to help formulate the responses for your claim form.
I hope this helps.
LL26

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris, Tracey

More
8 months 1 week ago #286989 by Bobby33
Replied by Bobby33 on topic Awaiting diagnoses
Thank you I'll have a look into pip. I'll be sure to ask questions on here as and when.. much appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
8 months 1 week ago #286990 by Bobby33
Replied by Bobby33 on topic Awaiting diagnoses
Interesting..... I'm now 33 and the general consensus is I've probably had this condition all of my adult life. I'll definitely start a diary...
Wow isn't it disgusting that a diagnoses isn't enough for them.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid