× Members

PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #286753 by Anxious Anonymous
PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f) was created by Anxious Anonymous
I have been reading through your guides and the videos in particular and I've realised I could potentially score 12 points under 1f, where previously I scored for 1e.

My situation is that I'm autistic and have severe anxiety, therefore I need someone to accompany me to overcome overwhelming psychological distress, keep me safe, stop me from having seizures and dissociate.

I was scored under 1e because I wasn't leaving the house that much but I think they scored me a lower award.

Is this true that you can score for MH problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286774 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)
Hi Anxious Anonymous

Yes, a claimant can score for Mental Health problems for Mobility 1

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #286789 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)
AA

Descriptors 1e and 1f are legally defined as being mutually exclusive of each other.

You cannot score for 1f without fundamentally undermining the reasons you scored for 1e, so consider carefully before proceeding with this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #286818 by Anxious Anonymous
Replied by Anxious Anonymous on topic PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)
Hi Gordon,

Could you explain to me why they aren’t mutually exclusive of each other.

My understanding is, which is limited, is it because of this wording?

A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.

How do we define occasions? If someone could leave once a week but would need the presence of a companion to overcome overwhelming psychological distress. They should score? Particularly if it’s related to say ‘ASD’.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286837 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)
AA

The logic is very simple.

If you are unable to leave your house then your ability to follow a route cannot be considered.

If you have trouble following a route then by definition you must have left your house.

You need to decide how you are affected on the majority of days. Are you unable to leave your house due to overwhelming psychological distress even if you do not need to on that day or, are you able to go out even if you do not need to but would be unable to reach a destination due to overwhelming psychological distress.

Gordon

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #286839 by Anxious Anonymous
Replied by Anxious Anonymous on topic PIP - Mobility 1 (d,e or f)
Hi Gordon,

It does have this wording though:

A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.

So this wording would suggest someone has left the house, followed a route accompanied by another person.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid