× Members

Enhanced mobility MR for mental health

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286629 by Anxiousannie
Enhanced mobility MR for mental health was created by Anxiousannie
Hi there

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for me please.

I have a query surrounding appeals.

I have been awarded enhanced daily living amount and standard mobility at 10 points.

I have bad mental health issues and often self harm if I have to go out. I have ongoing therapy 121 for a year or more as I feel suicidal. I am on and off meds as I forget to take them. My friend helps me most days. I barely go out once every couple of weeks maybe and that’s with her. She has to drive me and I cannot use the bus as I have meltdowns.

I think I may be entitled to enhanced pip mobility I was 2 points away and the assessor put I cannot take any journey due to overwhelming distress. But I also sometimes find it hard to make familiar journeys even with a friend which I did tell her. And the only times I can just about make a familiar journey okay is with my friend helping me and driving there in her car

I wrote a letter to the decision maker before the award but I don’t think it got there in time. I want to appeal but I’m worried and anxious about losing my award. I have such bad anxiety and obsess over things. Can anyone tell me their experiences or if they think I have a chance at a successful appeal? There was stuff on nutrition the assessor missed which I also pointed out.

The extra money will really help as my friends car keeps breaking down and she does all my food shopping and takes me docs appts when I do face to face ones which is barely ever due to my condition. I have no other support except my friend so it would help massively.

Is there a chance the decision maker will still contact me even though the award letter was sent out already? And I’ve already got award text? I got the award text last week weds and I haven’t received the award letter yet but I have received back pay.

Also if I do have to go through the MR which I’m so anxious about my health has been in tatters recently with the whole process, would they take my points away what are the chances? I’m so scared.

Any help or advice please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286641 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Enhanced mobility MR for mental health
Hi Anxiousannie

Now that the decision has been made, the decision maker won't be contacting you with regard to the letter you wrote.

I can't tell you whether you have a good chance of succeeding by putting in for a Mandatory Reconsideration. Only about 27% of Mandatory Reconsideration cases are won, but those who win will always think it was worth the effort. I wouldn't let that percentage put you off if you believe that you have a chance of winning.

Is there a risk to you putting in for an MR? Most MRs that are turned down - the award remains the same. I have only ever known two people whose awards were downgraded, and they were unusual cases. The biggest risk is usually to the claimant's health and the additional stress. Only you can decide whether the potential award is worth it.

I have no idea what you wrote or what you said in your assessment - there is obviously a difference between :
1e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to
the claimant. 10 points.
1f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an
orientation aid. 12 points.

If you are arguing for 1f - make sure that you are not contradicting anything you said or wrote about how often you actually go out. 1e indicates that you don't go out - the other is you can only go out with assistance.

And I'm sure you won't say it in an MR - but don't say that the extra money would be helpful because of your friend's situation with her car (because they won't care).

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286652 by Anxiousannie
Replied by Anxiousannie on topic Enhanced mobility MR for mental health
Th k you Bis. Yeah I’m not too sure it’s been such a headache already and I’ve barely slept and ruminated because of it.

Yes so I barely go out but once every few weeks if I do it’s with my friend sometimes I’m okay but mostly I’m not and I did tell the assessor this if I remember rightly.

If I go out by myself I sometimes have episodes because of my anxiety I can think people are looking at me and then I have a meltdown.

Thank you for your advices k will have a think on it.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286673 by Anxiousannie
Hi Bis

Also how long do MRs take and if there was a tribunal would I have to go?

Thank

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286700 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Enhanced mobility MR for mental health
Hi Anxiousannie

I wish I could give you a definitive answer about the MR - but I can't. I would expect you to hear within 4 - 6 weeks, but it could be sooner or it might take longer.

If you don't win your MR and you put in an appeal - you can ask for them to make a paper-based decision if you don't want to attend. You should be aware, though, that the Tribunal panel can insist that they want to see you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anxiousannie

More
8 months 1 week ago #286722 by Anxiousannie
Thank you bBIS :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid