Tourette's & Reading

• Mitch
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 months 1 week ago #286586 by Mitch
Tourette's & Reading was created by Mitch
Hi all!

I have Tourette's which involves a lot of eye tics such as rolling my eyes, shutting my eyes and keeping them closed for sometimes 10 seconds etc. I also have ADHD which makes it difficult for me to process large amounts of info.

When it comes to reading, my tics and ADHD make reading more of a challenge. Tics make reading time consuming as I often lose my place and move my eyes away from the text, and ADHD means I have to get someone to help me with large / important peieces of info as I can't process it.

Yet I scored 0 points, the reasons being: "He attended school, can read text messages, no cognitive impairment which suggests he can understand basic and complex information."

How do I respond to this in my MR!!?? I never denied I can read...but it takes me much longer than it should most of the time (not always), and with large/important info, I have to get help from a friend.

Thanks in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286591 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Tourette's & Reading
M

You can certainly argue that you cannot read to an acceptable standard and that it takes you more than twice the time to read text as a healthy person would.

However, you need to be aware of the standards you are being asked to meet;

“Basic written information” means signs, symbols and dates written or printed standard size text in your native language.

“Complex written information” means more than one sentence of written or printed standard size text in your native language.

So, you need to present your arguments within these restrictions, your referring to "large / important" sections of text is not going to be successful because the law does not require it, think of shorter pieces of information that you might be presented within your daily life, for example; the prescription instructions on the outside of medication, cooking instructions on a ready meal, etc.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid