PIP MR stage

• honeyhoney
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 months 1 week ago #286550 by honeyhoney
PIP MR stage was created by honeyhoney
Hi all

I read your guide (too bad it was so late). I'm at the MR stage.

I see that words are very important in this process. Since English is not my first language, I am asking for advice on how to formulate my appeal.

I'm going to go through each descriptor but I need a general overview. My reasoning is this (without numbers, of course)

1. because of XYZ....
2. on average 4/7 days a week
3. I am unable to perform (ABC DESCRIPTOR)
4. the last time I wanted to do (ABC DESCRYPTOR) it happened (real life examples)
5. the above clearly shows that I cannot execute (ABC DESCRIPTOR)

I am only asking you to confirm or supplement the above points so that I know whether my reasoning is correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286574 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP MR stage
Hi honeyhoney

When applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

Read about the reliability element in the guide - if you cannot do something:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

The fact that you can’t do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly or in a reasonable time, means you can’t do it at all for the purposes of the descriptors.

If you have any further questions, then please return to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid